how can i teach my 6 weeks old baby sleep trought the night

gaby1784

Asked by gaby1784 at 11:34 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until they are more like 6 months. 6 weeks is too early and a baby cannot go for that stretch without eating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 27, 2010

• you can't, it is not a reasonable expectation for a baby that young
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:41 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You can't teach a 6 week old baby to sleep through the night. You can't expect it at all. It isn't even a guarantee at 6 months or 1 yr.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:49 AM on May. 27, 2010

• 6 weeks? You can't and you shouldn't. You need to be feeding your baby when they get hungry and at 6 weeks they will get hungry throughout the night. Most babies don't sleep through the night until close to a year old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:50 AM on May. 27, 2010

• i think you are getting way ahead of yourself. my dd did not sleep through the night until she was about 5 months. just keep your baby awake in the afternoon hours and feed him or her really well right before you put them to bed and he or she should sleep for a longer period of time, but probably not through the night.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Are you serious? You can't. Babies will sleep longer when they are ready, but at 6 weeks, your LO needs to be eating often, if breastfed probably every 2-3hrs, maybe a bit longer if formula fed. Nothing to do but wait it out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• All 4 of mine slept through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months. I wake mine at least every 3 hours during the day to eat and play, spend time by the window for natural light, and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. I always laid them down drowsy, but awake so they learned to get themselves to sleep - in their crib we put a very small blanket that I had worn under my shirt (so it had my scent), a motion and sound activated "heartbeat" bear, and the oldest and youngest used a paci. With my oldest, we used a classical CD playing to help him get to sleep. Something about that combo of things always worked, at least for my kids.

Answer by missanc at 12:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are 3 years. Human babies have always breastfed, nursed at night, and slept with their mothers. If they woke and mother wasn't next to them they would cry to let mom know they were alone and in danger. Still in most of the world this is what happens. It's hardwired in the human brain and it's how humans have survived. It would take generations for change to evolve.

Sleeping through the night is considered to be only like 6 hours. A young baby that sleeps 8 hours at night is abnormal. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sorry, you can't. He will sleep through when HE is redy. Sleep training methods aren't to be used before six MONTHS...and even then they are hit and miss because babies sleep through when THEY are ready. Your actions only make you feel like you're doing something; they are incidental to achieving sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on May. 27, 2010

• gdiamante is so right. You cannot and SHOULD NOT sleep train before 6 months because the part of the brain that regulates sleep has not yet developed. Also, each baby is different. We sleep trained our son at 7 months, but he still woke 1 to 2 times a night hungry until he was 19 months old. I'd just feed him and we'd both go back to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2010