What to do, my 9 yr old used our credit card to buy dsi games without permission

My son said that he had free dsi games credited on his dsi from the internet. I asked him how, he said he didn't know, they were just there. He had problems with it working correctly so I thought maybe Nintendo gave him some credits or it was a free trial. Well, my hubby was looking at our credit card bill and the games have been charged there. So obviously tonight we will be speaking with our son and he will be getting a huge punishment. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else and is there any way to dispute the charges?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• How did he have your credit card info?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:49 AM on May. 27, 2010

• AHHHH!!! I WOULD WRING HIS NECK! (not literally,lol)
    I would make him box those games up and return them. Call the company and explain what happend, they will have to reimburse you....they are not allowed to sell to someone under 18 without verification from a parent.
    Then I would box up his entire gaming system and the games and make him SELL IT or give it away or box it up for 2 months. That is a BAD BAD behavior to get used to.
    Then I would make him do so many chores for a month he will never ever think about committing such a crime again. Washing the car every day,cleaning garbage cans everyday,clipping weeds with scissors every day...
    LOL..I'm getting all worked up about it because my son is 10 and I can so see him trying to do something like that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:49 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Tell him it's the same as stealing and the next time you won't hesitate to send him to jail/juvie for it. Take him on a tour of the local one and let him see what he's in for if he keeps stealing and lying like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:02 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Okay I have a 9 y/o and there is no way he would even have the ability to do this, I am just amazed honestly that your son was able to do this.

At this age is there no one who monitors what he is doing with the internet? and how in the world did he get your credit card? We dont allow the video game systems to be connected to the internet, this makes me feel much better about that decision. You probably wont be able to dispute the charges since it was your child using your credit card.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:24 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My son is very bright in those aspects, he is very good with computers and technology. My husband thought he blocked the dsi from purchases, now I am not sure if my son figured out a way to disable it or if it was never done right in the first place. As far as I knew, he only used the internet on there to watch videos of songs and silly stuff. We are strict with our kids and they are not allowed to use the internet without us present, we block tv shows over tv pg, we are not careless parents. Apparently my son is very sneaky to be able to do this behind our backs. My hubby's credit card was in his drawer because we wanted to stop using them. I am so upset over this. I feel sick to my stomach. :(
    Anonymous

• (wow cant believe YOU are getting bashed for this! Does everyone lock their purse up at home? My parents didnt expect anything to be put up, i was taught to stay the h*ll out of what wasnt mine!)
    1. Grounded. Games taken away- need to be earned back.
    2. Call the company- you can get a refund for any of the unused time atleaste.
    3. Make your child work to pay you back (even if u get $$ money back! he stole..
    4. Talk to him about what he did. He may not understand it all... Make sure to talk to him about stealing & going through stuff that is not his (obviously he got in your purse/ dads wallet)
    You can dispute the charges. it was a child under 18 using your card. I am sure they deal with this alot. When I was young I sent out for the 20Cd's for 1 cent stuff... My mom never punished me for it really- I got to keep the cds & my mom contacted the company & (sadly. yes) it was their loss for sending to a minor..
    Good Luck
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:52 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Wow i would be pissed!! I return them and let him know that he was wrong!! He's old enough to know thats wrng!!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Call the number on the credit bill and they can take the charges off since he's a minor without permission to use the card. And from now on, make sure that the purchasing information is removed from the DSi and that your purse is where he cannot get it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd remove the charges on the credit card.And put hm to work at home to repay what you lost.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:27 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My child would be lucky to have any hair left on his head (figuratively, of course) if he pulled such a stunt.

First of all, if you don't have the computer your son uses set up in the family room where everyone can see what he's doing at any time, please move it there right away. Letting a kid have a computer in his or her bedroom really isn't a good idea.

Secondly, yes, this is stealing, and that would mean that he needs to repay you. My favorite form of repayment is sweat. Lots of hard age-appropriate work. Do you have weeds that need pulling? A garage that needs decluttering? Carpets that need deep-cleaning? I say you have a very handy cleaning crew of one at your disposal. Since school is out, I'd say that most of his summer is yours, especially since he also lied about it.

Oh, and naturally, you'd delete or return the games and work with the bank and the company to try to get your money back.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:34 AM on May. 29, 2010