Sucking his thumb

My son is sucking his thumb and he is almost 4 months. He used to take the pacifier, but as of last week he only wants his thumb. I heard that its not good for kids to get that habit. How can I get him to stop?? Help!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 11:43 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's fine until he gets older. I would try to avoid letting him do it since it's hard to break later but it won't hurt for now. My DD sucks her first 2 fingers and is only doing it at night now (she';s 3)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:48 AM on May. 27, 2010

• He's fine. He may grow out of it very soon or he may do it for a while. Either way it will be just fine. It is no different than him having a pacifier (except you can't take his thumb away, of course) and since you were ok with the pacifier there is no reason not to be with the thumb. My youngest sucked her 2 middle fingers (after also giving up the pacifier) and then suddenly, out of nowhere she gave it up completely. I was actually a bit sad she gave it up because she lost her ability to self sooth for a while (it was at about 10 months that she gave it up). My oldest daughter sucked ehr thumb until she was 7-8 years old. Certainly longer than is ideal but she really struggled to stop. But I am happy to report she is 13 years old and there is no sign of braces in her future. :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My stepson is 4 & still sucks his thumb. I don't see it as a problem, even if some other people do. He usually does it only when he's tired or stressed out. MIL got on to DH once about it when he was a little past two, and then DH was telling me that he thought we should make him quit. I just looked at him and said..."so it's a bad thing to put something in his mouth to help him deal with stress?"...and then looked at the cigarette that he was smoking at the time. He looked at the cigarette and realized what I was meaning. "oh...good point" he said. I'm not sure what he told his mom, but she stopped bugging him about it.
    I figure at some point he'll out grow it, for now his teeth are fine. But then I'm not one that thinks it's going to ruin his teeth anyway.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:42 PM on May. 27, 2010

• The one trait that 'they' found in common among kids who stop or don't stop later in life (past the age of 5) is a person continually pushing them to stop. Hang in there, he is still a baby and the need to suck for comfort is very strong. He will grow out of it.

"According to the American Dental Association, thumb sucking does not cause permanent problems with the teeth or jaw line unless it is continued beyond 4 to 5 years of age. As it turns out, somewhere between 85% and 99% of children have finished thumb sucking spontaneously before this period"
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:55 PM on May. 27, 2010