I am 31 weeks and 5 days pregnant with twins. Went to the doctor last Tuesday and he said I am 2 cm dialated and my cervix has thinned to 1.2. I lost my mucus plug at 5 AM today. Will I go into labor soon? If I do, will they try to stop labor or can I go ahead and deliver?

I have already had preterm labor at 28 weeks and 5 days and was given magnesium sulfate and a round of steriod shots for lung developement. They also gave me the steriod shots at 26 weeks as well, so I have had two round of those shots. Two weeks ago last Monday, both babies weighed 3.5 lbs and they are both in the 69th percentile for the weight. They are way bigger then sigleton babies at this time (and they have been like that throughout this pregnancy). I do get contractions here and there and some are painful, but nothing I can't handle.

kadensmommy1026

Asked by kadensmommy1026 at 11:45 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• only your ob can answer that
    good luck you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:50 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Hopefully you will carry your babies as close to term as possible. Due dates are only estimates.. your babies could still be at risk right now. I sure hope they stop you. Being dilated doesnt mean anything.. niether does losing your mucus plug. I was 4 cm and 80% effaced for one month.. with my plug lost for 2 weeks...

If you feel contractions I would go in and demand they stop them. Your babies need more time inside.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Losing your plug doesnt mean you will go into labor soon like breaking your bag of fluid does. You just have to be careful when swimming and bathing because it is easier for an infection to get up in there. Also remember that sono weight estimates are ALWAYS over estimated. I think 32 weeks is early and would think the drs would want to keep u pregnant a little longer! GL
    Anonymous

• loosing your plug is not a sure sign that labor will start soon, many women lose it weeks before, or never notice bc it comes out in pieces.

as for stopping your labor, it would be better to ask your ob. my guess would be that they would try to hold it off a while longer, but since you have been given the streriod shots im not sure.

good luck!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:49 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I would take it easy and put yourself on bed rest. Call your OB/GYN and let him/her know that you believe you lost your mucous plug. I believe that they WOULD try and stop your labor because at 31 weeks, it is still too early to deliver. Normally with multiple births, doctors like to deliver around 35 to 36 weeks.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Our twins were born at 33 wks 5days. Remember with twin 37 wks is considered full- term. Our twins were born healthy as far as development. I had been on bed rest in the hospital since I was 29 weeks. They stopped my labor about 8 times before my water broke. Once it broke, they delivered them. I had my via c-section due to Baby A having a medical problem.

Good luck and Congrats.

P.S. Take it easy.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:58 AM on May. 28, 2010