General ANes and asthma

Okay my DD is 16 months old and tomorrow getting ear tubes and adenoids placed. I am not worried with the procedures itself. I am worried about the general anesthesia. My DD is asthmatic hospitalized twice for RSV and onces for severe asthma attack. To control her asthma she is on Advair 45/21 two puffs twice daily. My ENT who is highly reccomended in this town stated that he never saw a baby at her age on Advair. He now has scheduled a consultation with anesthesoligist this afternoon. Any on your children at this as have general with moderate cases of asthma. Is Advair really an odd medicine for 16 months old? Should I worry cause I know there are so many more risk with asthmatic patients and General. I know they can have difficulty coming out of the General and breathing on there own. I know I just need to now worry, but I am a worry wart.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 11:46 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about the Advair, but if your daughter's asthma is very bad, you may want them to give her some breathing treatments after she is out of surgery. DH has to get them every time he has any surgeries- he has severe asthma; nebulizer is usually what they do for him, then they have him blow into a little device and if he can't push the ball to a certain height they keep him until he can and he has to do that for a week or two at home. They may do the breathing treatments anyway, but sometimes DH has to insist before they will do it if it's at a different hospital then the one that has all his records.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:02 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I have never heard of using advair in children under 4 years of age, it can affect their growth from what i understand. My mom is on advair so we read up on it when she started taking it.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You should see a chiropracter and a holistic docor. Bet they could fix all her probelms and get her off meds..

good luck.
    Anonymous

• I am asthmatic and the last time I had surgery (emergency gall bladder) they gave me a dose of my rescue inhaler just as I was going into the OR. I had no complications from the anesthesia. I was also on advair at the time (on symbicort now.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• advair is not something for a 16 month old. my ds is 3 and has had asthma since birth. he uses abultoral treatments with a nebulizer. my dd was 5 months when she had rsv and ever since then when she gets sick ive had to to breathing treatments on her. she is also asthmatic. neither one has had advair. my mother in law is a peds nurse and she said its bad for kids
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 2:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My son has mod-severe asthma as well (just turned 5) and was diagnosed very early. I've never heard of a child that age taking advair. He just had his tonsils/adnoids out on 4/20 and they gave him a treatment before surgery, right after surgery and one more as he was waking up. I'd be more concerned about her taking advair than I would be about the anesethesia.
    Anonymous