• In the Spotlight:

are you treated like a doormat just cause your a SAHM?

i guess more likely i would be referring to is your family members.

do they see you as an oppertunity to drop thier kids off at your house and bbsit for free?

does your family think you can do anything at any time of day?

do people think you should be earning money rather then being a SAHM?

why would someone treat you like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't get treated like that. I do have a friend that is pretty much treated that way though.But she really doesnt seem to mind that family and friends bring thier kids over for her to babysit when they are in a bind. I tell her all the time she's crazy...but she knows she is,LOL. But yeah, I notice some of her husbands family members put her down a lot because shes' not earning any money.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2010

• No to all of those. TO be fair im the only one in my small family that
    has kids ,sooo there is no kids to be dropped off at my house.

I have no idea why someone would treat someone like that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• No to all of those as well!! EVERYONE of the women in both my family and my husband's family are or were ALL SAHM's when our/their children were little. It would have been unheard of to be a working mom (outside the home) until the youngest child was in full-day school.

I went back to work after 8 years as a SAHM, and now I'm a teacher, so I'm only working when my children are in school, adn I'm off when they are. I'm not missing a beat! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:36 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sometimes I feel this way but it really isn't from outside sources, mostly my husband. He loves that I stay at home, but sometimes I think he loves it a little TOO much. He comes home and thinks he can do whatever he wants, when he wants, dirty up as many dishes as he wants, and leaves trash all over the house. But "It's okay, my wife will pick it up. That's her job"
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:36 PM on May. 27, 2010

• NO to all of the questions. We dont live close enough to any family for them to do that lol. My MIL was actually very happy to hear i would be a SAHM and my mom was happy that i had the chance to do what i wanted to. Dh loves that i am a SAHM, of course I did start working part time for a friend recently but i have my kids with me if they are not in school and that has probably put more stress in our lives then anything. Right now all i hear is "why cant you just stay home" from my kids lol, they dont understand it is short term and i am home when they are.

I never felt like a door mat because honestly i am secure in my choices and i do not let people walk all over me, even if we had family nearby i would not be taking their kids at random times, i would on occassion help them out but not on a regular basis.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• in my family all the women that have kids are sahms. and when i lived closer to them they would call and ask if i would baby sit. i never minded because i knew they would return the favor.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Nope. My family doens't treat me anyway really.. My family is nowhere around, and neither is my husband's family. It's just the 3 of us (me hubby son) for thousands of miles..lol So not only do I not have to deal with family treating me this way or the other. I don't deal with them period. And if they did have an issue or opinion in regards to how I live my life, it wouldn't matter to me anyway.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:58 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Nope. You only get taken advantage of if you LET people take advantage of you. Learn to say no and mean it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:01 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree with Beth.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:20 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't feel taken advantage of by anyone. I will admit I am usually one of the first two people on the list called to babysit or help with something during the day, but I don't mind. I'm not working so I have free time and if I don't want to do it or don't have the time that day, I just say no. Not a big deal.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 1:24 PM on May. 27, 2010