Does any one else have a toddler that bites themself when angry?

When my toddler gets mad he will often bit himself. He bites himself hard at times and will cry afterwards. I have never heard of kids doing this before. Does anyone else have a child that does this? Is it considered normal, or does my toddler have some issues?

youngmommi2be

Asked by youngmommi2be at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter never did, but my son did when he was really frustrated. I've heard of several other toddlers doing it, too. My son just turned 3, and he hasn't done it in a while, so I think he has outgrown it.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My son is 8 and has been hurting himself for years. He doesn't do it often and actually it hasn't happened in months, but ever since he was little he would hit his head when he gets upset. He'll also pull his hair. It's so sad to see him hurt so much. I try to get him to use his words to express himself.
    Anonymous

• My son used to headbutt things when he was mad, I would just let him and not cuddle if he hurt himself.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• my son does this and he has even put his hand in his mouth to pull on his teeth. it hurts me to see him doing this as well i agree with the above poster do not cuddle him afterwards and try and get hm to use words or motions to describe his frusterations. my son is 2 and doesnt do this very often anymore.. thank god
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 2:04 PM on May. 27, 2010

• my son done this when he was around 2 or 3 yrs old. i was told by his doc that he just wanted attention or he got so mad he didnt kno what else to do. the doc actually told me to bite him bk when he done it n he did stop after about the 2nd time i did it. lol (dont bite hard, just enuf to get attention)

mscuevas

Answer by mscuevas at 11:48 AM on May. 28, 2010

• my son did this awhile ago. I think he just didnt know how to react to the anger or frustration he was feeling. I would explain that biting even himself is not ok and teach him or her how to fucus on their anger in another direction.. my son grew out of this quickly
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010