How long did your toddler's rocking phase last?

The neurologist said it was just a phase and had and EEG and MRI done with normal results. My 19 month old daughter has no other symptons of Austism so that is pretty much ruled out but she rocks constantly since she was around 11 months old. Eating, falling asleep, on the couch, against walls, the whole 9 yards. What were your experiences and how long did this last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Body rocking usually stops around age 2. It is believed to be a self-comforting mechanism. I would look for a reason why the child is feeling the need to self-comfort and start comforting the child. If I was caring for the child I would wear the toddler in a sling or carrier and hold the toddler for naps. I would make the environment toddler friendly. I would minimize saying no and use positive parenting techniques. You might like to read about attachment parenting. Here is an article about saying no. 

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:50 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We dont discourage her from doing it but when she's doing it seemingly to entertain herself, I try distracting her with something else. It does get frustrating but I know she isnt doing anything "wrong."
    Anonymous

• I'm 37 and I still do it!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My teenager will turn 14 this year and she still does it! All my couches, chairs have round spots from where she bounces her head! LOL. Otherwise, she's perfectly normal.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:49 PM on May. 27, 2010