Potty training: Sticker chart...

I want to try to use a sticker chart for my son to give him some motivation...he's 2 1/2 years old and not really interested in potty training. Anyway, for those who have used the chart did you place a sticker on the chart even if your child didn't urinate or have a bowel movement. If he/she just sat on the potty would you still place a sticker on the chart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they are getting started its a great idea. Then after some success, change it to when they actually put something in the potty. Sometimes I have changed the stickers to a treat if you hit a bump in the road when they decide regress a bit. And it will happen. Don't push it, just encourage and return to it as they are willing. Good luck... its a journey and it won't happen in a short period of time. I also want to encourage you to have them undress and dress themselves as well as practice cleaning themselves. I've had parents tell me their child is potty trained when I've had to constantly remind them, dress them and clean them. Its not done until they can do it all.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:46 PM on May. 27, 2010

• i put a sticker on the chart if he goes (not every time he goes since it's a small chart lol). I also hand him a sticker and he puts it on the potty or the stool. if he doesnt go, I verbally praise him for sitting on the potty because we are only on day 10, and we are still getting the hang of things. once he gets the hang of it better I wont over-praise him every time (just like I dont praise him for walking since he got it down a long time ago if that makes sense)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:52 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Great advice ladies! Thank you so much! (I think I accidently clicked anonymous when I asked my question, sorry about that).
    Carmelita_79

Answer by Carmelita_79 at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2010

• some potty books and videos come with free charts and stickers and you can also print them out on some parenting websites or learn how to make your own!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2010