Frozen Milk

How long can milk stay frozen and how long will it last once it has thawed? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Breast milk?

It can stay frozen in a freezer section of a refrigerator for 3-6 mo. After thawing it can be saved 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Everything you need to know about milk storage:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:54 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Regular Milk. I know about breast milk, but wanted to buy milk on sale with coupons, and freeze it for when I need it...
    Anonymous

• We freeze milk all the time. Whole milk usually thaws with clumps in it. We prefer 2% or skim and that's not usually a problem with those. Be sure to remove about 1/2 to 2/3 c. milk before freezing the jugs or you may have a jug that cracks.

I'd say no more than 6 months in the freezer for quality purposes, but frozen foods including milk are safe to freeze indefinitely and still consume them when thawed. How long will they stay good after thawing? That would probably depend on how close the expiration date was when you froze them. I've never had milk go sour after thawing but we can go through a gallon in 3 to 4 days.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:45 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I pour out a small glass before freezing (about 8oz). I've been told that it's way better to freeze in half gallons than whole - if you can't buy halves, have anyone you know who does wash & keep the jugs, then pour the gallons to the halves. The longest I've kept and used it is about 8 months. The last didn't taste any different than the first, but none of it tasted like fresh. It's better for cooking or eating, not drinking straight. The longest a whole gallon ever lasted was 5 or 6 days - so I have no idea how long it would actually last - another good reason to seperate it into half gallons, especially if you don't go through it quickly. I did try freezing some in gallon freezer bags - poured half a gallon per bag. It thawed a lot nicer, but was messier to transfer to a pitcher - I just rinsed the bag in cool water and put it in a huge bowl. A whole gallon takes 12 hours in cold water to mostly thaw. Half gallon, overnight
    Anonymous