What age do babies stop holding hands in fists?

I've been wondering about my son. He's 10 months old, has no problem opening palm to grab things, has fine pincher's grasp, but whenever his hand doesn't have anything in it, or it's not on the way to hit something, he holds them in fists. Is it still normal at this age? He does have an older sister but I don't remember her being like that. He also rocks a lot....a lot - eating, playing, resting (watching his sister play or watching me clean/cook). How long should this last? Should I be concerned???

pd4now82

Asked by pd4now82 at 1:12 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds perfectly normal. My Pedi said (about my son) that if he he has no issues opening/closing his hand, grabbing for things, holding onto things, and switching things between hands then he is fine. It is comfort for babies, since they were all balled up in the whomb for nine months. They're used to having curled up toes and balled fists. He said that it shouldn't be a worry if they're using their hands properly as mentioned before. Now if he were having trouble using his hands, not grabbing for things, or something of that nature then you should be concerened. However, I see that he is using them properly, so it shouldn't be much of a worry.

As far as the rocking that is most likely fun for him. He is probably doing it on purpose as entertainment. It could also be a way that he keeps his balance while sitting. It shouldn't be worry right now though.

My son stopped balling his fists around your sons age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:42 PM on May. 27, 2010