dicipline for a 6 year old

I'm having awful problems with my 6 year old. He is very destructive with all his toys. Hit his babysitter last week and broke her new toys this week. I've done time out and no tv...need help....is it wrong to pack up all his toys and put in garage for months till he learns to respect people and toys.

catsandra

Asked by catsandra at 1:26 PM on May. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have packed up toys so many times!!! My son will be 6 next month and if he or sisters cant take care of their toys properly, then YES I have taken them away! I use time outs for him and it usually works. If he is that aggressive I would talk to his Pedi and see what they have to say. I wish you luck anyway!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• perhaps not months, but there is no reason why you can't pack them up for at least a week for the first time.. then longer the times after that. It also helps to explain WHY he has to respect his toys and people. (ex. We packed them up because you can't care for them. If you can't take care of them, you'll break them all, and have none. )

You can also try giving his toys to charity every time he misbehaves. Tell him the toys are going to children that would really love and respect them, and deserve them more.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• For every toy he breaks, he has to give one away. Just make sure you pick the one to give away, or else he'll pick the one that sits in the bottom of the toy box untouched. And, no it's not wrong to take it all away for a while. I've known people who took everything away, just left the mattress and clothes and made the child earn everything back. From what I've seen, it really works.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:56 PM on May. 27, 2010

• A child does not NEED toys. They are just a nice luxury item. If he's not taking care of them, then he has not earned the right to having them. Put them up for a week and then bring ONE out and see how he does.
    His bedroom should also only contain his bed, dresser, a clock (best get in the habit of waking to an alarm), and a desk. No TVs, no game systems etc.
    As for hitting the baby sitter - you may have to take him to a counselor and see if something is going on with him.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:46 PM on May. 27, 2010