Can we still be foster parents if we get food stamps now?

My husband got laid off from his job 4 months ago and we applied for food stamps a few days ago. We have had foster kids in and out of the house for the past year now. I am wondering if we will still be able to be foster parents? We JUST returned a sweet princess to her rehab'd family two months ago. We would love to continue to foster- our county especially has a shortage of foster parents. Our home and cars are both paid off- we just are getting back on our feet is all. I have put a call into our SW to ask her, but it always takes a while to hear back from her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Adoption

• Each agency makes it's own rules.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:07 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Good to know. I should add my husband is now working again- the job pays less than his job with the police department (we had a levy fail and several officers laid off including him) but at least we can pay all our bills. We just need a little extra help with food is all until he can find better employment.
    Anonymous

• Not in Colorado
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:10 PM on May. 27, 2010

• At our last meeting in February, there was over 14,000 kids in Foster Care in our state and 3100 were currently in group homes WAITING on foster care because of the foster parent shortage. I am terrified that a child that I KNOW we can provide a safe loving place for will be left in a group home somewhere, or worse- placed into an overwhelmed home where they may suffer further neglect because we were put into a financial situation that we were unprepared to handle. It makes me so sad. I guess I was hoping to hear that we wouldn't be considered inadequate caregivers based on a short term financial circumstance. At least, I am still crossing my fingers that our social worker will feel that way.
    Anonymous

• Every state is different, but we had to prove that we had enough income to get by and show proof of income. So here the answer would be no. They do not want to create a situation where your income ends up being the foster payments. That money is for the childrens portion of household upkeep not yours.
    Anonymous

• I live in upstate new york and when I went through the licensing process to do foster care I had to prove I made enough money to support my family and the foster kids because sometimes it takes a long time for the board checks to come etc. They didn't ask about food stamps specifically but they did want to know we were financially stable. If your situation is indeed temporary just wait until you're back on your feet to try fostering. You could possibly ask your local CPS if there is anything else you could do to help children? I know in my area they ask for volunteers for helping with the Christmas gifts they receive for the foster children and also for helping to collect things for needy families that they are trying to help in home rather than pull the kids out. Good luck and it's a great thing that you want to help children.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 7:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• If you are already licensed & presently foster parents, talk to your SW. She'll have the answers or be able to get them.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We live in Chicago and had to show proof of income and that we could afford to take in a child. So I guess it depends on your state and agency. Why would you want to continue to foster if you are on food stamps and your husband is out of work? That doesn't really seem fair to the children you take in. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Do you get a check for each child? If so then you can just use some of that money to feed the child right?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 1:20 AM on May. 28, 2010

• if they are short on foster parents i dont think they would take you off the list just for that. lots of poor folks are foster parents, it is all about giving them a short term stable environment and i dont see how being on PA would take away from that. they will still be fed.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:24 AM on May. 28, 2010