Is marriage any different today than from what is was 200-70-50 years ago?

Has marriage always had its same problems over the decades? It just seems harder these days but we have more conveniences and yet more divorces.

So I guess there has always been cheating in one form or another.
Henry the VIII killed his wives and the number one cause of death to pregnant ladies is murder by their husband. Well, I think I heard that once.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I think a major difference in modern marriage is that the roles are not as clearly defined as they were 200 years ago. In those days it was pretty clear that the woman would take care of the house and children and the man would work. I am sure that lead to many stressed out men and frazzled women, but they did know what was expected of them. Today the lines are blurred and I think it leads to everyone trying to do the same things. It is commom now for both husband and wife to work and have a hand in running the household and raising the children. Of course, this has many benefits to the family unit, but can also lead to too many hands in the cookie jar, so to speak, and if you and your spouse disagree on how things should be done it can lead to a lot of confrontation. I think there is also more pressure on women to be everything- great mom, wife, bread winner, etc. while men don't really know what to do sometimes. (con't)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:19 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I believe it is probably harder due to the new technology. Technology has made it easier to lust and cheat while also making it easier to bust a cheater out.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Of course it's different. It's different from 20-30 years ago. I'm in my 50's. Until I was over 25 I never knew anyone that was divorced and I knew a lot of people. I was a medical lab tech and I had worked at several labs. Can you imagine now not knowing anyone that has been divorced? That was the 70's, early 80's.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Women in the past were considered property,so yes.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:21 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Very different. Before the 20th century, the only chance a woman had for a "decent" life was to marry. That idea (but not a reality) persists today. A woman is often "pitied" by her family and/or friends if she hasn't been married by 40. But women can make it on their own being single every bit as much as a man these days. But 100 years ago, it would have been very hard. Back then, it took a very tough and resilient woman to pursue a livelihood on her own.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:39 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Oh, yes. Marriage was created as a legal instrument. People married to have children to run the family business, or to exchange property...or even to avert wars!

Someone from 200 years ago would have a hard time fathoming modern marriages. Even someone from 50 years ago would.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:55 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes. Definitely. It is more of a game now I think. To me I don't think marriage is taken as seriously now. Especially when now people have a fight with their husband and get a divorce because "it isn't the same" as that puppy love they once knew. Woman back then tolerated a lot more also. There are many differences from marriage back then and now.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:10 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I also think in the past divorce was just not an option, while today it is considered normal and not really frowned upon. I am sure in the past plenty of people stayed in horrible marriages because they felt they couldn't get out. While I am glad that now people who truly need to can get out, I think too many people divorce before they have really made an effort to fix the problems. And I don't think losing the spark is a viable reason for divorce, I think in a lifetime with someone you are going to have times when you lose your spark but if you don't get thru it you risk losing the chance to enjoy getting the spark back.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2010