Do you own/use a deep fryer?

Hubby wants one. I am dieting and just don't think it's a good idea but I dunno....what are your opinions? Does the food have to be horribly fattening? Advice =D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Frying in a frydaddy and in a skillet with oil or butter is no more healthy than the other. You can substitute vegetable oil for a much healthier oil like peanut oil.

Just because you have it and use it doesn't mean you're going to get fat. Everything in moderation, that little phrase is key. Yes, I like baked french fries, but I'd rather make curly-q's in the fryer! And fried chicken, corndogs, hushpuppies, they're all better in the frydaddy.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I LOVE deep fried foods but refuse to get one. All of the food is very fattening and if you use it a lot your house will smell like grease.
    Anonymous

• own yes,use no. Its all depends on the breading use.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You can find them at thrift shops and yard sales. You can give it a try.

You can use good oils like peanut and not bread food and then it's not so bad for you.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I LOVE my deep fryer. But mainly because I love french fries extra crispy. I think it depends on what you are cooking in and what kind of oil you use in it. You can probably google some stuff that won't be too bad....but I can't see it being that great for your diet.
    Anonymous

• We have one but do not use it. My husband had it before we got married but greasy foods make me vomit and give me heartburn lol.
    Maybe he can cook meals for him and the kids in it and you eat something healthier.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• have:yes use:no
    i love fried food but no matter how you fry it it is not good for you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:28 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes, we have a professional deep fryer from when my SO was a chef.
    Fattening? I'm sure it is.
    We use it for a lot of things. It would probably be healthier if we were to use better oils rather than vegetable oil,lol.
    Probably not the best thing to have in the house for a dieter. But you can always bake your food while he fries his, if that is an option. Or just limit how often you use it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:07 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes. We use canola oil when we fry things and we don't use it often. Occassionally I crave homemade fries and hubby makes delicious chicken tenders and chicken fried steak fingers. We have chicken tenders and chicken fried steak fingers about 4-5 times a year each. It's okay to eat some things as long as you do so in moderation.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• op here - I can't imagine I'd use it often. I don't even cook with oil regularly. I use Pam spray for my skillet and I bake things like hamburgers. Somebody was talking about fried pickles on this site the other day and it got me thinking of buying a fryer. I'm glad they are somewhat pricey...it'll make me less likely to buy one!
    Anonymous