What age will you let your daughter start to shave?

My daughter will turn 9 soon and she is starting to get low self esteem about the hair on her legs. Boys have teased her in the past and now she will wear sweaters and jeans when it's 80 outside. Any advise would be great!

ljlM

Asked by ljlM at 2:25 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i started earlier than that. if it bothers her that much i dont see a problem with starting
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:26 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Thanks
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 2:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Whats the big deal, let her shave.
    Anonymous

• My mother didn't have a problem with me shaving as long as it was from the knee below. She said shaving above my knee at that age wasn't necessary. So get her some shaving gel, a good razor and let her shave.
    Anonymous

• That is really sad. When I was 9 I was not even aware I had hair on my legs lol. I wouldn't want my children to just "give in" to society, so I would want what is right by my standards. IMO, she is too young, but she is your child. If you think she is old and mature enough for it give her the razor. I wish you luck! This is a toughie!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:30 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Well I remember my mom and I's battle about this. My daughter isn't even 5 yet so i wont have to worry for a while. I think that you know if she is mature and capable of shaving... Let her try it... Let her know that it's something you have to keep doing. You dont just shave once and it goes away even though I wish that would happen. I started shaving around 10 or so behind my mom's back. She didnt agree with it but it made me feel so much more comfortable around my friends in the girls locker room and not so nervous to wear shorts in gym.. Seems stupid but I would just at least let her try it to see if it helps her with her self esteem.
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys. It's crazy with her being in third grade - one class mate has started her period, I am now buying training bra's and now shaving just seems to much at once. I will take the shaving any day with out her not starting her period yet!
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 2:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My 10 year old daughter started shaving her arms and legs when she was 9. I don't see the big deal. But she is on the swim team and it seems to help with her times.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 2:35 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I was in your daughter's boat. I don't think I wore shorts in public from about 9 until 12 when my mother finally let me shave my legs. And I use the term "let me" loosely because I really just kind of did it over at a friends house and then there was no turning back. I suggest getting your DD an electric razor as they are easy to use and not likely to cut the skin.I don't know how bad her arms are, maybe she will be happy just shaving her legs? The thing is that it is much easier to cover unshaved legs than unshaved arms. Good luck- I think it is great that you take her self-esteem seriously and don't just chalk it up to being silly or something like that. Good job to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:54 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would let her shave now if I were you. No big deal.
    Anonymous