Serious question--because of money issues i am considering switching my baby at 6 months to whole milk--

I know that people have done with before because of one reason or another, but really how much more nutrients does formula have than milk? So i know what kind of switch i'll be dealing with and if i should just rack up my credit card to buy this formula or is it okay to make the switch so i don't go into debt. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go to the wic office and tell them you can afford formula. your baby can NOT tollerate milk at 6 months.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:43 PM on May. 27, 2010

• At 6 months they are now ready for cows milk. If you are having that much trouble go to your local health department or wic office and get put of wic.
    Anonymous

• not ready*
    Anonymous

• If you are having trouble affording formula have you applied for WIC?
    I dont know about the whole milk thing. If I remember correctly I stopped giving my son whole milk around 9 months.....So, im not sure.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:43 PM on May. 27, 2010

• formula has tons of nutrients compared to milk! use store brands. ask your pediatrician for samples, craigslist for free formula, contact your local wic office. at 6 months milk cannot keep your baby healthy. you will regret the decision.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Can you try to get some help from WIC or apply for foodstamps? Foodstamps will cover the cost of formula. Call around for some help, some centers donate free cans of formula. Really, 6 months is just too young to stop giving formula,all the vitamins,minerals and nutrients the baby needs are in there to help them to grow.I understand your financial situation, I would try everything to get the formula first before just giving up on it and switching to whole milk.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:47 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Apply for WIC. Go on CL and barter formula for babysitting. 6 months is way too young, Formula has all the nutrietnts that a baby needs, regular milk is just not enough.
    Anonymous

• More important than the nutrients is what formula does NOT have..whole milk proteins that are very hard for baby to digest, and you could find yourself in a world of medical bills.

I *know* I'm gonna get my head snapped back for this, but I'll put it out there in case there is no way to get financial help...if you still have breasts, you could relactate. It's not an easy option...but it can be done if you are interested.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 PM on May. 27, 2010

• gdiamante is right again. I know FF moms have a fit when those of us who BF suggest breastfeeding, but seriously, it's free and it has the nutrients your baby needs. You baby cannot process whole milk and will get sick. Your baby will not get the nutrients he needs from whole milk and thus will be failure to thrive. 6 months is WAY too young to switch to cow's milk. You either need to get on WIC or BF.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• 6 months is too young and it will hurt the babies stomach try to get on wic or try to breastfeed if you can.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:02 PM on May. 27, 2010