Ten years old of today verses ten year olds from the late 70's-how do you want your ten year old to dress/behave?

I was having this discussion with my friend the other day. We were watching a tv program, and the little girl on the tv show was ten. She dressed like a little girl (even had hair ribbons), and still played with a rag doll. The show was from the late 70's, by the way. My friend kept saying the little girl was acting too much like a kid, and I kept telling her that a ten year old IS a kid! She isn't a mini adult, she isn't even a mini teen!

Compare that little girl to "tweens" of today, who look like mini Lindsay Lohans.

How do YOU want your ten year old to look like? Would you be happy if she still played with dolls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would EXPECT that she'd still like dolls.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd be shocked if mine still played with dolls as she was never really into them the way some of her friends were. But I completely understand what you mean. My DD is 10 and she doesn't act a bit like what a 10 yr old was when I was 10. She is all about looking nice, her nails, shopping, and kicking her brothers' butts in basketball or on bikes. She needs a bra (and wears one) Wants a cell phone. It is shocking.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:03 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd let her dress the same as she does now, which means in what she likes, what she finds pretty, as long as it covers the necessary body parts. I think a kid should get to wear what they want as long as it isn't all hanging out. Kiwi is 5 and I expect in another 5 years, it'll be more of the same. My sister is 9, and has given all her dolls to Kiwi, she says she's too old. I sort of agree with her, I stopped playing with dolls w/friends and by myself when I was around 7. The only time I did was with younger kids I was "watching" (meaning geting .50 to play with the neighbor's little girl while she did dishes/laundry), and with younger family.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:05 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I think this must be based on your family's personal values. For example, in our family everyone, including the boys, is expected to dress modestly, comport themselves with dignity & respect both themselves & those around them. The children are well-behaved and often act like little adults (they treat us the way we treat them, as it should be), but they are allowed to grow up at their own pace, so if my son wants to play with trucks until he is 12 (or 20, for that matter), that's fine, and if my daughter wants to play with dolls until she's 12, that's fine too. The goal is for them to grow up as individuals, not walking advertisements for the mass media & pop culture.
    Anonymous

• I have sons. I hope they're more interested in frogs and baseball and playing in the mud at 10 than in cell phones and girls and hair gel.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:28 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would think that by 10 a girl should be done with dolls and ribbons... That way to childish for Middle School. I've never understood how or why people would want their kids to be kids that long, there comes a time when it's time to start growing up, and that's about it. I want my kids to grow up to be productive adults. I want them to know the value of hard work and to understand why it's important... If they are still acting like kids at that age, they aren't ready to grow up...
    Anonymous

• Hell, by the time I was 11 I was working full time and taking care of a house... Plus all the normal stuff... So, no, 10 is WAY to old for dolls and ribbons...

Anon 5:29
    Anonymous

• At 10 yrs old it is definitely time for some responsibilities: chores around the house, but they ARE still children (for almost ANOTHER 10 yrs!) and they SHOULD still have time to be children! I don't feel it is appropriate at ANY AGE to be wearing revealing sexy clothes! ESPECIALLY not at age 10! Not for my kids! They will be allowed to choose their daily clothing from pre-approved clothing that has been obtained previously. Nothing is too low/high cut or bellies showing. Nope - not my girls. At 10, whether they have a chest or not, there is NO need to show it off nor is there a need for the belly to show.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I remember playing with dolls up until I was 12 or so. I had chores and stuff around the house, but I was a KID. It's sad that 10 year olds of today are more interested in make up and boys. Really sad.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:07 PM on May. 27, 2010

• IDK Mine is only 3, as long as she has good behavior and good grades, I'm really not particular on what she's into at whatever age. As long is she is happy with who she is and what she's doing, so am I.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:42 PM on May. 27, 2010