is it safe to go swimming when 9 months pregnant

if you go swimming and your water breaks how can you tell

tie0013

Asked by tie0013 at 3:12 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You'll be able to tell after you get out of the pool and dry off and there is still something trickling down your leg.
    Anonymous

• You most likely won't be in the water long enough for all the fluid to leak out if your water was to break while you were in the water. So you'd still be leaking after you got out, dried off and put dry clothes on.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You are the one who keeps asking about how to induce labor aren't you!!!!! LOL I can tell by your thought bubble!

Anonymous

• It is fine to go swimming while pregnant, as long as your water hasn't broken. The odds of a woman's water actually breaking at home is very little actually. Most women have their water broken at the hospital before giving birth
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:30 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Swimming is lovely in pregnancy, especially at the end!
    IF the water breaks while in the pool you will soon discover after you get out... maybe not... You might go into labor soon after, or maybe not. Could still be weeks away...
    Swimming after the water is ruptured is not necessarily risky, that is debatable, I know I would (and did not) do it~~ just in case.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You'll know.. when you were a child have you ever peed in the pool? It's little different. You'll still feel the gush as it comes out. A warmer sensation around your legs.

as far as it being safe.. that you'd have to ask your doctor. If you no longer have your mucus plug, it may not be safe. So it's best to double check any and all concerns with your doctor first
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:48 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I swam until the day before i was induced at 39 weeks. It was the best thing ever. So relaxing and it took the stress off of my joints and relieved the heaviness of the pregnant body. Just to warn you though. When you get out you feel like a ton of bricks..lol...really heavy as your walking out of the water. I asked my doctor if it was ok to swim after i lost my mucus plug at 36 weeks and she said its fine. Just dont jump in. That can douche water up the hoo hoo, and puts alot of pressure on the uterus from the pressurization you get when you go far under the water and the sudden smack on the water :) As far as water breaking. Like the other mommies said. If your water does break you will probubly feel the warmth, and by the time you get out you will not have ran out of fluid so when you dry off it will continue leaking and you will no. Go for it mama and relax!!!!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:03 PM on May. 27, 2010