starting to worry about all that can go wrong

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. All has gone smoothly so fas just like the other two pregnancies. And i elected not to have the down syndrome testing earlier because my other two were completely healthy. I was watching a show this morning and now i am worried that my baby will have down syndromw because i chose not to have the testing. Or that something will go wrong when i go into labor before we get to the hospital.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have heard that test isn't accurate anyways and (not sure if this one is true) that getting it could actually cause down syndrome, I doubt that part. But sweetie what you are going through is normal. I think the thought of all the what if scenarios pass through our minds during pregnancy exspecially towards the end. It will be ok. Congrats and good luck.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:20 PM on May. 27, 2010

• First, stop watching the shows. :-) Take a deep breath and tell yourself that you've done all you can to make the baby healthy, and anything that happens is out of your hands. From what I understand, having the downs syndrome test will not prevent it, it will only tell you if the baby has it. So, either way, whether it does or not, it isn't a result of whether you had the test or not. You're just nervous about not knowing. Play with the other two kids to keep your mind off your worries. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:21 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Not having the testing doesn't make a baby have Down's Syndrome. You just don't know ahead of time. There is nothing you can do about it, except abort the baby. There is no reason you have to know. The tests aren't perfect. You could think your baby is normal and it could still have Down's. You could be worried the whole pregnancy that it has Down's and it could be normal. Some tests are better than others.

There are many birth defects, most women don't realize all the different things that can be wrong with their baby. There may be more things that go wrong at the hospital than at home. Home birth is much safer than hospital birth. What you can do is empower yourself. Take childbirth and breastfeeding classes. Go to La Leche League meetings. Consider a home or birth center birth. Hire a doula.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:24 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I see no point in the testing. What is it going to change honestly? Nothing. You are still going to love your baby more than anything. My step son has Downs Syndrome and is just like any other kid. Sure, there are some things that are harder for him to do, but for the most part he is completely normal.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'm 24 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy...adn I have to say, so far this is the only pregnancy I've been relaxed and not worried about,lol. Maybe because I feel like I'm used to it, I don't know. But having those kinds of fears and thoughts are normal. Try not to worry though...everything will be fine. With my last pregnancy, they found calcium deposits on my daughters heart in an ultrasound, which is an indicator of downs syndrome...there has to be 3 "markers" found on different organs. I was soooo worried..I googled so much information I made my head spin and I cried so much..and she turned out just fine. :) If your baby was to have downssyndrome, chances are they would have spotted some indicators on your ultrasounds by now. Relax, and don't worry mama...even though its hard not to! Everything is going to be okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:33 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Complications are possible.   Perhaps unlikely, not probable.
    It is good to investigate how to deal with something IF necessary.
    I encourage you to please read this, I think it's very helpful!

Worry is the Work of Pregnancy « Talk Birth

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:37 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't like the test for down syndrome.. most doctors can tell something isn't right simply by the ultra sound. If they were to have found something that concerned them, they would have pointed it out, and asked again if you wanted to opt for a test for down syndrome. so I wouldn't worry so much about it. he/she is probably has healthy as his/her siblings.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:44 PM on May. 27, 2010