Do you think society would be better off if gender roles were more definitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Definitely. I'm a big believer in women staying home to raise their children and I'm proud to call myself a housewife.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:35 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We have known since the 70s that androgynous people are the happiest. My oldest was born in 1979 and a group of friends and I decided to do non-sexist child-rearing. We were all together for 4-5 years and it worked really well. I went on with non-sexist child-rearing with all 3 of my sons. They are happy with the way they were raised and my son is now raising his son the same way. My grandson's greatgrandmother just gave him this expensive set of little stainless steel pots and pans you can really cook in and he loves them. They came in a pink box, of course.

Sandra Bem has been one of the main researchers in sex roles if you would like to do a search and read more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on May. 27, 2010

• are you Fing kidding me??? gender roles do nothing but cause harm to people (although nothing against people who live their lives that way if it works for them). the idea is to be able to freely make choices in our lives. the problem with society is not gender roles, but self-entitlement, lack of respect, lack of people thinking for themselves, etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I think the problem nowadays is we let our kids be kids WAY beyond 18 yrs old. It used to be when your 18th year came up,you were planning your life outside of your parents house,be it college,marriage,work etc. We now allow these young people to act and be immature well into their 20's. I see this more of an issue for young men. the simple satisfacion of a job well done at the end of the day,and being a good provider to your family is no longer a priority. We're all more interested in our own wants than those of the ones that rely upon us.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It has been my observation that anything that puts people into a box before finding out anything about them is automatically a problem.

There are more variations within each sex --in height, muscle mass, brain power, interests, colour preferences, aptitudes and abilities, strengths and weaknesses and emotional stability-- than there are between the two.

And, as the hilarious illustrator of the comic strip B.C. wrote: a label is just a way of hating someone without getting to know them first.

Labels are words that say 'everything you need to know' about a person while simultaneously functioning as a straightjacket that is saying 'this is 100% of what you are allowed to do or be.' Simple and easy for all the easily overwhelmed and not-too-bright to understand without having to think about at all...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Absolutely!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:10 PM on May. 27, 2010