Hitler a Catholic?

i did some research a long time ago, and it says that Hitler was a Catholic.. do you believe this to be true? and even if he was, why was he not ex communicated by the church?? is he in Heaven, or Hell?

Hearts_n_Stars

Asked by Hearts_n_Stars at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• He was a Catholic, was not excommunicated because (from what I have read) the church was helping Nazis escape after the war..... Since I do not believe in heaven or hell, I cannot answer that last question.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:04 PM on May. 27, 2010

• "Excommunicating Hitler would have been pointless. He left the Catholic Faith when he left his parents’ home. His own description of his religious beliefs was as “a complete pagan.” Nonetheless, any Catholic priest could have refused the sacraments to him because he would have been excommunicated ipso facto due to his numerous crimes. There is no evidence that Hitler ever attempted to receive the sacraments after his childhood, and since the only reason for excommunication is to help a sinner recognise the gravity of his sin, thus leading him to seek forgiveness, it would have achieved nothing in Hitler’s case."
    http://blog.grigaitis.net/2009/07/why-wasnt-hitler-excommunicated/
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I think Hitler was brought up Catholic but did not necessarily follow the faith in his adult years. From what I have read Hitler only liked the power that the Catholic church had and thats about it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:14 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Hitler was baptised a Catholic but obviously didn't practice Catholocism as an adult. Instead he persecuted Catholics http://www.churchinhistory.org/pages/leaf-sum/naziperscath.htm. The church helped save Jews:

"the Vatican were directly responsible for sheltering thousands of Jews in the Vatican and in church properties in and about Rome, as well as 3000 in Castel Gandolfo. As a result about 85 per cent of Rome's Jews were saved from deportation and murder." ... from Defender of the Jews.(The Myth of Hitler's Pope: How Pope Pius XII Rescued Jews from the Nazis)

Anonymous

• Oh cool. I am going to save that link anon 1:23. My youngest has a report to do on WWII and that info will provide another reference.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:07 PM on May. 27, 2010

• In his childhood, Hitler had admired the pomp of Catholic ritual and the hierarchical organisation of the clergy. Later, he drew on these elements, organizing his party along hierarchical lines and including liturgical forms into events or using phraseology taken from hymns. According to historian Michael Rissmann, young Hitler was influenced in school by Pan-Germanism and began to reject the Catholic Church, receiving Confirmation only unwillingly. A boyhood friend reports that after Hitler had left home, he never again attended a Catholic Mass or received the Church's Sacraments. According to Hitler's chief architect Albert Speer, Hitler remained a formal member of the Catholic Church until his death, although it was Speer's opinion that "he had no real attachment to it."

continued..
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 5:20 PM on May. 27, 2010

• continued..

While he was in power, Hitler was definitely less interested in the occult than other Nazi leaders though some people think he wrote a poem while serving in the German Army on the Western Front in 1915 that includes references to runes and the pre-Christian Germanic deity Woden. Hitler actually rejected Paganism, in one quote he said... "It seems to me that nothing would be more foolish than to re-establish the worship of Woden(or Wotan). Our old mythology had ceased to be viable when Christianity implanted itself." Hitler also really disliked atheists.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 5:23 PM on May. 27, 2010

• There is a book called Hitler's Pope I would recommend you read. Hitler was not only Catholic, but had the Pope to thank for his power!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on May. 27, 2010

• After reading Hitlers Pope try reading the Myth of Hitler's Pope, because nothing is as black and white as people want to make it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:15 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I believe it
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:27 PM on May. 27, 2010