would you tell your chlid it might hurt....

My child has had like 4 uti in 6 months so they are going to run test ultra sound and then give her a catheter thing and filll here bladder up with dye stuff would you tell her the truth and talk to her about it or would you just leave it alone and not say a thing when she goes to the doc to get shots i always tell her before so she will not be suprised with it I don't know what to do or i dont know if they are going to give her something to relax her so she will not hurt as bad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you tell her that it will hurt, she will not want to go and make a bigger deal out of it and be scared that it will hurt. If you say that you'll be fine and it'll be over soon, then she might not notice that it even hurts. But seriously, telling her that it MIGHT hurt or WILL hurt.. then to her, it WILL hurt ! I'd just say that (depending on her age) that it might be uncomfortable but afterwards she'll be just fine.. but whatever you do.. DONT tell her that it def will hurt!
    Anonymous

• I had that done a couple years ago for kidney infections and ohhh boy did it hurt(the fact that my nurse was a complete bitch didn't help either). I'd tell her its going to, don't lie to her and say it's not then have her find out the hard way. I never had anything to help me relax but it might be different for younger kids (I was 16 when I had it done)
    IxAmxPintxSized

Answer by IxAmxPintxSized at 4:04 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would tell her & if the procedure is to be done in a hospital setting, I would talk to childlife services to see if they have some teaching materials for you or if they could be present during the procedure to help distract/entertain your DD.
    Anonymous

• how old is she??? I would probably tell her since it will hurt and I don't know I would just tell her and tell her they need to find out why you she is getting so many UTI's. My oldest now 5 had to do this in the ER I felt so bad cause she started screaming and everything this was when she was about 8 months old so I would probably mention it to her if she was old enough to understand or know what you are saying
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:06 PM on May. 27, 2010

• They may give her something. Catherizing a child isn't quite as bad because it's a shorter distance. I'm a mother of 3 sons (now adults) with serious medical conditions. Be honest about pain. Don't use words like pinch that are nothing like what's going to happen.

"It will probably hurt but it will be over quick and I will be right here."

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:06 PM on May. 27, 2010

• ANON above is correct let me refraise my answer don't tell her it will hurt tell her it will or may be uncomfertable telling her it hurts will probably make her scared to go and cry so yes tell her it may not be comfertable, but not that it hurts
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• well you should probably find out what they are going to do before you talk to her, that way you can give her correct information. they will probably use a local topical anesthetic, maybe more depending on the size of the catheter. make sure you tell her you know it will be painful and uncomfortable but it's to help the pain and discomfort she experiences on a regular basis. when my daughter was young (5?) i took her to the ER - she had a super high fever and other symptoms. the nurse came over and told me they needed to take her temperature rectally then just walked right over turned my daughter over and stuck it in without warning - it completely freaked my daughter out - she was ANGRY. I was angry... especially when you're dealing with private parts it's especially important to talk to them about what's going on.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I was always honest with my children. You have to treat them as you'dlike tto be treated in these situations.
    Anonymous

• she is 4 years old they said i can stay there with her the whole time they are doing it in outpatient at the hospital
    Anonymous

• I would tell her it will hurt, but not until the last minute so she's not freaking out and worrying about it until then. I used to work as a nurse in a doctor's office and it was really frustrating when the parents would lie to the child and tell them the needle or whatever wasn't going to hurt, and then it did, and they were even more upset. I always told my little patients, "Yes it will hurt, and it's okay to scream as loud as you want, just DON"T MOVE!!" That made it easier.You should be honest but tell her you'll be there the whole time.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:22 PM on May. 27, 2010