Did your mother/father teach you how to cook meals, use a washing machine, change bed sheets and other important life skills?

I know soooo many people whose parents never taught them ANY of these things, and they get out into the real world and have no idea how to look after themself!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope I tought myself the only thing my mom did help me was learn how to cook, but cause I loved watching my mom cook the rest I learned on my own.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:11 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yep, they taught me well.
    I will also teach my kids how to do household chores and cook, and how to fix things etc.

I already try to involve my 2 year old in these kinds of things, in fun ways - like she gets to use the hoover when I'm done with it - and she "helps" me do the dishes, and she presses the "on" button on the washing machine - and she "helps" hand the clothes up - she really loves to cook with me too, I think she'll be a domestic godess, heh.

Any sons I ever have will learn all these skills too - guys need to know them all just as much as girls do.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:11 PM on May. 27, 2010

• i know! Doesnt that piss you off! such needy people!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes. My mom taught me household stuff and my dad taught me how to change my tires and my oil. I remember being at college for a week when my roommate asked me to show her how to use a washing machine.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes and my husband and I in turn have also taught our 20 yr old twins, 15 yr old daughter, and almost 13 yr old youngest son.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:34 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My mom taught me to "bake" more than she taught me to "cook', but she still taught me alot of both! And, yes, I was taught to run a household, and a barn!!! We ALL helped clean the house and I took care of the animals and horses too! I was taught to meal plan, clean on a schedule, and all sort of stuff. My mother was a WONDERUL housekeeper...I just wish she'd been more of a "mother" to me. My father only taught me how NOT to treat my children and how NOT to operate as a parent, child, I NEVER heard I love you, I NEVER heard I'm proud of you, and I was made to feel "at fault" for everything bad that happened, and that has spilled into my adult life. I'm reading a book about being the child of "self-absorbed" parents...it's very enlightening!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 4:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• She had to teach us all that or else we couldn't have done it all for her... My mother was housework as "Payment" for all the things she had to do for us... As for cooking, not so much. She had a baking business for a while so we had to learn how to bake - so that we could help, but not so much cooking... That we learned in Middle school Home Ec. But we weren't allowed to take those classes in HS, because my mom said they were useless... So yes and no...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on May. 27, 2010

• lol yes. I taught my 5 and 7 year old stepsons to put sheets on a bed a couple of weeks ago. You would've thought I was ripping out their livers from the pain it caused them! lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I spent time at home as a child, and liked to spend time with both my parents, so I worked alongside them. It was a model that worked, so I did the same thing with my kids, who learned how to keep their homes without any 'lessons'.

I suspect a lot of people believing in the housekeeping fairy because their parents have virtually never worked at home in front of them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:30 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We learned all of those things at home but the one thing they never taught us about was money. We never spoke of it and you were never to ask about how much dad makes. I did have a class in high school that was all about money, budgeting, credit cards, and loans. It was a class other kids thought was only for slow kids. And I admit I took it thinking it would be an easy A. But it was hard and very helpful. I think it should be a requirement in high school.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:32 PM on May. 27, 2010