Do you let your baby crawl all over (safely) or do you limit him/her to very small areas?

We have a small, one-story house, so we don't have a lot of space for baby to crawl freely everywhere even though he tries. We let him freely crawl on the living room rug and in his room but nothing past those areas.

I know he needs to get exposed to some dirt and germs, but because we have a dog that sheds a lot, we don't think it's all that hygienic to let our baby crawl freely.

Any suggestions? What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby crawls everywhere - inside and outside. We block off the bathroom, because he pulls himself up on the toilet (gross and unsafe), and we block off the stairs because he can't figure out how to go down them yet. He could sit for 35 minutes and play in sand/dirt and be perfectly happy. I'm not going to stop him.

I would limit the dog's play area before limiting your child's play area.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree with the above. Limit the dogs play area.
    My DD roams freely since we baby proofed.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 4:16 PM on May. 27, 2010

• True. Good idea. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• Both my kids have roamed freely since they where crawlers. The only type of babyproofing I ever did was putting a gate up when we had stairs at the old house. I was taught that kids can learn not to mess with things, and thats how I do things.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I let our son crawl everywhere except the bathroom and kitchen when Im cooking. We have two dogs that shed too so I vacuum everyday but I figure he's already being exposed to anything else thats around our house. Like the PP said, it helps him learn what is and is not ok to play with.

My husband always wants to gate him up so he cant mess with anything but I dont allow it. Our son is a person too and deserves some freedom!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:39 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I only keep Katelyn out of the kitchen.....just get a steam mop to sanitize and clean
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:02 PM on May. 27, 2010

• If I were concerned about hygeine, I'd keep the child off a carpet, not on it... carpets hold all kinds of pathogens and tiny livestock that cannot be removed by any means. A hard, dry floor is far less likely to have anything dangerous on it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My son crawls freely. Unless i am doing something and cant be chasing him, then i trap him int the room im in for the time being :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We have two dogs and we let my daughter crawl all over the house. I stop her when she gets toward the laundry room, though. The dogs' water is in there and she likes to splash it all over.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:50 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My kids have always crawled everywhere, in a house with one very "sheddy" dog and two cats. Have you seen the studies that show kids who are raised on farms have a better immune system and fewer allergies than kids in the city. Plus, the more contact the kids had with the farm animals the better off they were! Certainly vacuum frequently so that baby is not eating fist fulls of hair, but let him crawl!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:15 PM on May. 27, 2010