if you want a guy to adopt your child do you have to be married to the guy in order to do that?

My sister wants her boyfriend to adopt her son one day he is 22 months old. Her case worker told her that if they would do it now that they would have to get the fathers concent, but if they wait 3 years and if he hasn't been involved 3 years that he can adopt without the consent of the father, but do they have to be married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• It depends on the laws in your state. And NO, it is not EXPENSIVE for a man to adopt your children. All you have to pay for is the paperwork. I live in FL and my DH adopted both of my kids. Here, "abandonment" is not a cause. I had to call bio dad and we talked - he agreed to give up his parental rights. He went to a paralegal office, got the paperwork, signed it and filed it with clerk of court. Done. Then my DH was able to adopt them. All told - probably $200 bucks worth of paperwork on both sides. Talk to an attorney, though, because laws are different in every state.
    Anonymous

• I think they would need to be married.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:21 PM on May. 27, 2010

• The bio father has to sign away his rights, no matter what. It's EXPENSIVE to adopt a child, even though it's your son, it will be about $7,000
    Anonymous

• im trying for the life of me why you would want someone to adopt your child if you are not married to them. Im so lost as to what you sister can be thinking.
    Anonymous

• In my state they would need to be married. Also in my state 6 months to a year with no contact is plenty of time to terminate rights. She needs to speak with an attorney and find out what the law is in her state. I also don't understand why anyone would want someone they weren't married to to adopt their child, or why a BF would want to do that.
    Anonymous

• If they have to wait 3 years anyways, why not plan a wedding between now and then? If they are so serious that he wants to be the father to the baby, then they are serious enough to get legally married...right?
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I think each state has their own laws. I agree that it isn't wise to let someone adopt your child if you aren't married. The court has to approve the adoption and a judge would wonder what they are thinking.

Power of attorney is easy, cheap, and allows someone to handle legal matters concerning your children. I was frequently in the hospital when my children were young and a family friend had power of attorney in case any of my children had an emergency. Giving someone power of attorney gives them a lot of power but it can be revoked at any time. He could take the child to the doctor, ER, sign school papers, take money out of their bank account, ect. You even don't have to have a lawyer, there are forms online.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• im trying for the life of me why you would want someone to adopt your child if you are not married to them. Im so lost as to what you sister can be thinking

for your info they are planing on getting married next summer he loves this baby like his own (he has no kids) and he helped raise this baby for almost 2 years now
    Anonymous