Ok naysayers now what? Gulf spill far bigger than Valdez Leak worst in nation's history; new giant sea oil plume seen in Gulf

updated 4 minutes ago

COVINGTON, La. - An untested procedure to plug the blown-out oil well in the Gulf of Mexico seemed to be working, officials said Thursday, but new estimates showed the spill has already surpassed the Exxon Valdez as the worst in U.S. history.

A team of scientists trying to determine how much oil has been flowing since the offshore rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 and sank two days later found the rate was more than twice and possibly up to five times as high as previously thought.

U.S. Geological Survey Director Marcia McNutt said two different teams of scientists calculated the well has been spewing between 504,000 and more than a million gallons a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• there are naysayers? can we round them all up and send them to live there on the coast and force them to hunt and fish and live off the wildlife they catch?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Several women for the past few weeks have been downplaying the disaster saying it's not even close to the worst we've had yadda yadda yadda...

Well now it is; so I'd like to know what they have to say now.
    Anonymous

• lol well if you've been around here long enough then you already know there are plenty of idiots on here who love to argue with reality... i'm guessing they'll say the exact same thing...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Thats because Rush was feeding them bullshit from his hands saying that the oil spill wasnt that big of a deal because the ocean could handle it....what a douche. Apparently, it is your job as a Republican to devour every word that idiot says.
    Anonymous

• http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/05/05/handy-graph-puts-bp-oil-spill-into-historical-perspective/

Yes, it is a disaster, no one is disputing that. However, the estimates for the amount of oil that is gushing vary so widely that I have no earthly idea how much is actually there. Do I trust BP's estimates? Not exactly.... Do I trust the EPA? Not on your life! As far as I can tell, they have been working super hard (and succeeding for the most part) to keep the oil away from the coastal areas. IMO this will have a worse economic effect than an environmental effect. But, nowhere have I heard that anyone has said it is nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• But, nowhere have I heard that anyone has said it is nothing to worry about.

Flaunting Environmental Science, conservation practices, including reducing energy use and excess waste has been done at this site by more than a few people. You eff with nature and MN kicks you in the shins. Our behaviors and attitudes do matter, whether tho$e to the right agree or not. Now we will all get to pay. Again, it's tho$e who mi$$ viewing the fore$t because they are so busy hunting for their certain "ideali$tic" tree$.

Anonymous

• Not on your life! As far as I can tell, they have been working super hard (and succeeding for the most part)
    ********
    OMFG are you kidding!??!

Over 100 dolphins are dead; over 150+sea turtles. I can't remember the count of pelicans. It IS on shore! They're paying people $10 an hour to collect the sand to process the oil out so BP can keep on with their profits!

"TV images of oil sloshing into Louisiana's marshes has underscored the gravity of the situation and raised public concern and anger about the unfolding catastrophe, keeping it high up on the political agenda in Washington."
    Anonymous

• Images of oil in the marsh and on the shore - tell me now how they're succeeding at anything???

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oil-spill-impacts-our-shores-photos.html

Anonymous

• Who says its no big deal?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I realize there are some animals who have been affected. My point is that AT THIS TIME we are not seeing the amount of animals that we did with the Exxon Valdez spill. I had the impression that they were getting the booms out, and were keeping most of the oil off the coast lines, and out of the wetlands. So sorry if I was wrong. I know this is a bad leak, and that the effects will be felt for a long time. But I don't think we are getting the truth from ANYONE!!
    Anonymous