Weening

I plan on breastfeeding till baby's a year old. How should I ween him to cow's milk when he's one in 2 months?

Do I drop a feeding over time?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to wean to cow's milk. After 12 mo a child doesn't need cow's milk. Cow's milk formula is used so babies that aren't breastfed will survive the first year. It is a substitute for human milk. For example, you don't feed dogs cow's milk when they wean.

If your baby hasn't even been born yet you have a long time before you worry about weaning. The worst way to wean is to stop all at once. You will have problems and your child will not be happy. What's the best way? I think it's best to let the child nurse until they outgrow the need. In the US that's usually around 2.5 years. The World Health Org recommends breastfeeding at least 2 years and the AAP is going to change their recommendation to at least 2 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You can try and drop one feeding at a time. My dil has been trying this with my grandson. He loves nursing so much it hasn't been going well.

A really good breastfeeding web site is http://www.kellylmom.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Honestly I agree, it's mainly just a standard of thinking that we need cows milk. BUT, we are a nation that loves our milk, if you do decide to give milk, at least get the more expensive organic milk or even try Almond milk.

I slowly weened my son and hubby from organic cow's milk to organic almond milk, they can't even tell the difference now, and it doesn't have hormones, pesticides, insecticides, fecal matter, urine, blood and pus in it as non-organic cow's milk has (and even some of the organic milk has SOME traces of the fecal matter, urine, blood and pus from illhandling of the cows to produce more and improper washing practices)!

But yep, when we or our kids drink milk, we are drinking blood and pus....yummy

IF you ween I'd start with making bottles with half BM or formula and half milk, and just adjust that ratio over time.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:01 PM on May. 27, 2010

• At one year you can stop breastfeeding before solids and let solids take up more of his diet. He will gradually cut back on nursing on his own when you do this. If you are going to use cows milk (some families do, some don't) just start offering him some cows milk in a cup with his meals. Again, as he is taking more calories from other places he will need to nurse less. Some good info at Weaning At One

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:10 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Thanks, Maggiemom and Gailll!!
    Anonymous