Anyone or there baby ever have a blood infection called semsis?

The dr said my lil lei might have this. her white blood cells are way high. She has been sick over a week. I am waiting for the dr to call back and see if I need to admit her back to ER =

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 4:47 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Health

• sepsis?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on May. 27, 2010

• yes sorry sepsis
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 4:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sepsis means bacteria in the blood. I'm a former medical lab tech, one of the people that does the tests for this. Doctors do tests for this often and very few people actually have sepsis. I've had sepsis and my fever was 106 (very high for an adult) and I was very, very ill. Bacteria got in my blood from pneumonia.

If you are at home with your baby, chances are your baby doesn't have sepsis. The sepsis would come from an infection somewhere. It may take 24 hours or more for all the tests. If your baby has sepsis she may be admitted to the hospital and may have to be on IV antibiotics as long as 3-4 weeks. Sometimes they will send patients home on IV antibiotics with home nursing care. I hope your baby is OK.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:12 PM on May. 27, 2010