Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone who's done a private adoption care to help me out???

I am "talking" to a young girl who was raped and says she'd like us to adopt her baby....I need some feedback. If she chooses us, and we want the baby, do we have to go through the courts or can she just "sign her over to us" at birth?


Asked by TimandMely4ever at 4:52 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Adoption

Level 14 (1,728 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • While you are in the "talking" stage here, please note that many times scammers will say that they have been raped. Be careful if you've met on the internet. There have been many scammed here & other sites, and as soon as they are caught, they just change profiles.


    Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • My sister went through a private adoption. You need to hire a family attorney he will handle everything. 


    Answer by mommom2000 at 4:56 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • Our adoption was a private adoption. We hired a lawyer and it does go through the courts. If you have anymore questions please message me.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:00 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • You need to get a lawyer and go through the whole legal process otherwise you can end up screwed and hurt in the long run.

    Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 5:02 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • To legally adopt the baby as YOUR child (and have your last name), you do have to go through the adoption process. Otherwise, you will just be a guardian. When she "signs the baby over", all she is doing is relinquishing her rights and giving you permission to pursue adoption. She does not grant the adoption, a judge does.Get an adoption wise lawyer to handle your case.


    Answer by babycakes254 at 5:15 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • Oh and it is a common misconception that victims of "rape" can put up their baby without the fathers consent. So untrue. Yes, contrary to popular belief, rapist have rights to their children. This is something that needs to be handled carefully. ADOPTION ATTY NOW.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 5:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • babycakes is right.Even though the girl was raped, the SOB has rights to the child. I am so sorry but this is complicated you need to contact an attorney and get advice.


    Answer by MiddletonFamily at 8:38 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • You will also have to have a homestudy and the background checks. I'm pretty sure they're required by law in every state. Your atty should be able to tell you how to get this done.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • Thank you "doodlebopfan" that link was very informative.

    Answer by TimandMely4ever at 4:07 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • You will still need to go through all of the legal channels. There is the matter of her voluntarily relinquishing her rights, terminating the father's rights, home study, background check & then a hearing to determine if placement is in the best interest of the child. Be advised that once she relinquishes her rights, any member of her family or the father's family can also file for adoption of this child, even if she signed for you to have custody & guardianship, until the judge has ruled in your favor.
    Get an adoption or family lawyer before you proceed with this situation.
    Good Luck & God Bless :)

    Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 5:58 PM on May. 28, 2010