crib bumper?

There's so many things available for babies that it's hard to tell what is necessary and what is just for decoration or for fun. Do I NEED a crib bumper for a little baby?? Or is a crib bumper more for a bigger baby? What purpose does it serve?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 5:13 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They aren't recommended for safety reasons. They increase the risk of SIDS.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:14 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Their purpose is to make the crib look cute. They are a suffocation hazard. I've had 3 babies and never used them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:16 PM on May. 27, 2010

• No you don't need them....in fact it's recommended that you don't becase the baby could roll up against it and suffocate. They do have breathable bumpers ifyou really want one for the asthetics of it.

I admit I bought an adorable girly one that I wanted off ebay, but I removed it months ago when I smartened up.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Necessary - car seat, sling, clothes, flannel blankets, bassinet or co-sleeper and sheets, Burt's Bees Baby Soap

Nice to have - Miracle blanket, nursing pillow (not Boppy)

Don't need - crib, bottles, breast pump, infant seat, swing, sleep-n-play, baby wipes, stroller,

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:20 PM on May. 27, 2010

• "Necessary - car seat, sling, clothes, flannel blankets, bassinet or co-sleeper and sheets, Burt's Bees Baby Soap"

I Love the Burt's Bees baby products, they are the only "organic" ones on the shelves that don't have obvious chemicals in them. Just because SLS's are farther on the list with some of these organic, natural ones doesn't make it any better than Johnson's.

I just bought the ingredients to make my own diaper ointment, the price tags for these natural and organic are so high, I can make quadruple the amount for the same price.....awwww I love making my own products, this house is becoming more and more chemical free everyday.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:26 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I used a bumper BUT when they were older not when they were young.my DDs legs go through the bars and get stuck.They were both movers and still are lol. So just wait it out until you figure out how your baby sleeps

crib, bottles, breast pump, infant seat, swing, sleep-n-play, baby wipes, stroller, I used all these...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• We use a mesh bumper. We didn't use it until she started rolling around and would get her legs caught in the bars.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:43 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I have the bumpers on my dd's crib because she rolls around and gets her arms and legs caught in the bars and whacked her head a time or two. if you choose to use them, don't use them until your baby is an experienced roller and make sure they are not the puffy ones or get mesh. Also, tie them as tightly as you can, they should not move at all if baby pulls at them.
    Anonymous

• i used the bumper before my baby started rolling over but then he'd grab it and get it stuck on his head so i took it off, the only reason i got one was b/c it came with the set lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I used a crib bumper and will again. My DD's legs started getting stuck in the bars as soon as I got rid of the bumper. That's when I ditched the crib and went for a toddler bed. She was 18 months.

I use a bassinet now, and will go to a crib in 2 months when he goes into his own room. I also love the boppy, swing, bouncer, activity bars, my car seat stroller combo, and pack n play. I'll need a breast pump for I can't BF my baby when teaching in August. I have already introduced him to a bottle, and luckily he takes well to both my breast and the bottle with no issue. PLUS daddy has to help with feedings to keep me sane. :)

Your needs and wants for your baby are based on your life style, and what you need or want to use certain things for.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:04 PM on May. 27, 2010