poop strike, day 4

My almost 5 month old hasn't pooped in 4 days. she is breastfed, usually gets cereal 1 tsp once a day but not since day 2 of no poop. She usually has 1-2 poops per day. I gave her about a tablespoon and a half of 50/50 apple juice to water last night and nothing. so I gave her another couple tablespoons of it this morning and so far nothing. Am I not giving enough or should I just wait it out?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 5:46 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• already cut out the cereal, I figured no pooping was a clear sign that she isn't ready for it. thank you ladies for the suggestions, you.ve been very helpful!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My doctoer instructed me when my son was about the same age to bring him in ont the 5th day to make sure there isnt a blockage. I would give your ped a call in the am,
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:50 PM on May. 27, 2010

• This may be a sign that she is having trouble digesting the cereal and you need to hold off on that for a few more weeks and try again. That was smart of you to stop the cereal! I say lots of breastfeeding and give it a few more days, unless she is showing clear signs of discomfort, then see the Dr.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:12 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Cereal constipates. Cut out the cereal and other solids and just nurse. Breastmilk is the best way to get the system back on track. When you restart solids (which for a breastfed baby shouldn't happen until after 6 months), go with avacado or banana. Cereal is nutritionally empty.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Babies are supposed to be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 mo. When you start solids they don't need cereal. The iron in the cereal will mess up how iron is absorbed from breastmilk. The iron in breastmilk is in the perfect form. When you start solids baby can start on banana or sweet potato. Apple juice is the worst juice for babies. White grape is the best. The AAP is against kids drinking juice and recommends a max of 4 oz a day after 6 mo if they do have juice.

I suggest going back to just breastmilk until 6 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Doctors aren't trained in nutrition or breastfeeding and often give bad info.

http://www.kellymom/ is a good breastfeeding web site and has info on starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Try giving her a little sugar water. My doctor instructed me to do this after my BF only daughter didn't poop for 3 days. It was 2 tablespoons water with 1 teaspoon sugar. An hour later she took the worst smelling, biggest poop of her life!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:36 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would just cut everything but the breast milk out and let her system take care of itself. If she is in pain or obvious discomfort, take her in by all means, but she is probably just having issues with the cereal.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• No sugar water,. no Karo...just breastmilk. It's normal for a breastfed baby to go days without a poop...constipation is hard dry pellets.

Do cut the cereal and restart solids in a few weeks with regular foods that are mashable. Banana or avocado are good choices. Infanrt cereal hass nothing to commend it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:39 PM on May. 27, 2010