breastfeeding, help!

my son is a week old and bf'd exclusively but all we do is nurse. i feel like he just wants to snack...all the time, when hes on the breast hes sucking and swallowing but wants to stay there all the time. falls asleep quite often but never seems satisfied unless i let im nurse for an hour. my milk is in w no trouble pumping enough and he has a great latch, any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds normal. The first few weeks are growth spurt after growth spurt and they're also getting your supply going. As long as you're having plenty of wet diapers (6-8 per day) you're doing great.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:54 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. The first few weeks are just like that. It gets better.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:54 PM on May. 27, 2010

• sounds like maybe a growth spurt. I wouldn't worry about this kind of behavior until he does it for more than a week. also, are you giving bottles with the pumped milk? at one week pp, I would really stick to just nursing. hang in there, this doesn't last forever. he will become more efficient and spend less time nursing as he gets to be a more experienced nurser.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:55 PM on May. 27, 2010

• The first 3 weeks are rough. but after that you and the baby will be more used to nursing and it wont seem like he's on the boob 24/7.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 5:55 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sounds like the first few weeks with both of my kids. The first few weeks are the hardest. If you can get through these the rest is going to seem very easy.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• He may just be doing it for comfort. Sometimes I would let my son suck on my little finger and that seem to satisfy him. They can nurse for a long time in the beginning. I can remember watching an entire sitcom and half of a another one while my son nursed himself to sleep. When he got bigger I learned to hold him on one side and a book on the other. BTW, you may not want to nurse him to sleep - I ended up with a kid who still refuses to go to sleep if I'm not in the room.
    sancormal

Answer by sancormal at 5:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sounds normal, but breastfeed exclusively right now NO PUMPING! Otherwise you will end up with an oversupply of milk which can cause all kinds of problems (including extra frequent nursing!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:07 PM on May. 27, 2010

• You shouldn't pump in the early weeks. It can cause sore nipples, sore breasts, and it upsets the natural supply and demand balance. I breastfed 3 children, all over a year, and I never owned a pump.

It's fine to nurse a baby to sleep. Thats the way it's supposed to be. Nursing for an hour is normal. You and your baby should be just hanging out in bed recovering from birth most of the time. LLL used to recommend not getting dressed for the first 4-6 weeks!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yep, sounds normal to me - I bf all 4 of my kids and the first weeks with all of them were like that! It was worst with my son, he would only go half an hour between feedings at night - yeah, NO sleep for mommy! Hang tough momma, it'll be worth it!
    Anonymous

• Yep, sounds par for the course right now...Around 4-5 weeks or so it will become a more normal pattern.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:40 PM on May. 27, 2010