Ask the parent? - Tall tales

My 6 yr old has a friend. We'll all him C. C has come over a few times and I am friendly with the dad who is a SAHD. We have even spoken about me possible watching his kids if he gets a job. So today C comes over and says something about his 2 sisters and 2 brothers. Then says that one brother is dead because he shot himself in the hand. Then he tells me his mom is in jail for stealing. Then he said she will get out in 1942. I said "that's not so bad" and he replied "no, it's not so bad". Should I mention any of this to the dad???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• yeah i'd say something to him too, sometimes kids make weird stuff up and sometimes they don't... gl
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes

Answer by admckenzie at 5:56 PM on May. 27, 2010

• my son witch is 5 tells me some of the most off the wall stuff. stuff that i know never happen. kids just have big imaginations but when it involves something that is violent that i would say something to the parents

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 6:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It's kind of a teachable moment. If you know "the truth", you can say, 1942 was a long time ago, before your mom and dad were born, so that's your imagination talking, or something like that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:37 PM on May. 27, 2010

• op here - I know 1942 is erroneous but I have no clue of the child has several brothers and sisters, a dead brother, or a mom in jail. I was under the impression he had ONE sister and mom was pregnant with baby #3. I'll have to bring it up with dad. This is too weird.
    Anonymous

• No, he's really just talking and letting his mind take a walk.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:37 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd want to know what my kid was saying, even if he was making it up.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would. I would certainly want to know if my kids were saying things like that.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:26 PM on May. 27, 2010