For the non-Christians.

Would you let your child watch a christian kids program, if it was what they liked?

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 6:10 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I've rented them Veggie Tales and I have a number of "Tales From The Bible" tapes from when I was a kid that they watch as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:11 PM on May. 27, 2010

• yeah, I have my doubts, about it but my hubby and daughter, who is five ,are believers so I encourage her religion. I didn't grow up in the chruch but I wish i had because I feel like I am missing out.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sure, if she likes it, some of the parables are actually pretty good, but if they weren't something she liked I wouldn't make her watch them, it would be too confusing to watch something like that with our beliefs.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 6:28 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sure. I dont see how it's any different from any other fiction tale they watch (which is EVERY kid show there is). Heck they even have a storybook CD with Bible stories such as Daniel and the Lions Den and Noah's Ark on it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:47 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Also, I think if you don't tell them it's real, they don't ever have a clue... They see so many fantastic things in TV shows and know that stuff isn't real. I think as long as you aren't pointing out that "This is the truth" over something else, they will see them just as they do everything else... Which is kind of the attitude I have about Children and Religion in general. We are exposing them to as many forms of religion as possible through video and stories and when they are old enough to have religious questions, they will already have a basic understanding of them, through these stories and videos...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:56 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes. I don't get to choose their spiritual path.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sabrina, I agree with you about having to tell them it's truth. When the Narnia movies came out a lot of critics were saying they weren't christian movies because their kids only saw the magic, they didn't see the story of Christ in it. Well that's true with any story in the Bible, they don't know the difference between a miracle and magic unless they're taught.
    That being said, I don't personally consider Narnia "christian". :)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:16 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My children are teenagers but they were allowed to read, watch or listen to whatever they wanted, as long as it was age appropriate.

My 17 year old is an atheist by choice.  My 13 year old is agnostic at the moment with no real interest in religion or spituality but I wouldn't be surprised to see her explore Paganism when she is older.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Guess it would depend on how deeply it delved into beliefs.

If it was a simple cute story with a good message then yes Id let them if they wished to see it.

If it bashed those who didnt buy into the Bible teachings or called everyone sinners who didnt think like them,etc then no...they wouldnt be allowed to watch it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:46 PM on May. 27, 2010