My 2 month old breast-feeding (only) baby is grunting and moaning a lot like he's constipated or gassy and can't release it

My 2 month old breast-feeding (only) baby is grunting and moaning a lot like he's constipated or gassy and can't release it. He's getting a slight temperature from it too. He can't sleep for more than 10-15 mins. Please help! All the sites I keep visiting keep telling me it's normal yadda yadda yadda, but nothing to help ease the discomfort for him. Also, these sites talk about Formula-Fed babies younger than a month old! N/A for my situation. PLEASE HELP. :'(

MissGuinness

Asked by MissGuinness at 6:27 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• massage his tummy a little bit. and work his legs, bending them at the knees pushing them towards his chest. this usually helped my dd.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Breastfed babies don't get constipated and constipation doesn't cause fevers. Constipation means hard stools and that just doesn't/can't happen with breastmilk. Your baby may have gas but that doesn't cause a fever. Something else must be going on. Sometimes it takes awhile for enough symptoms to show up to know what's wrong. Maybe an ear infection? That has a fever, discomfort in certain positions, and trouble sleeping.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:34 PM on May. 27, 2010

• he really might be gassy. maybe something you havebeen eating isn't agreeing with him? I also think you should try to massage he belly to see if some of the gas will come out.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Gaill- WRONG. If you are a dairy eater, your BF baby most CERTAINLY CAN get constipated.

And elevated temp (up to 99.9) is fairly common, especially if you are swaddling him a lot- that alone can cause it. Try undressing him for a while before you take his temp next.
    What you eat goes into his milk- it will give him gas if you're no careful. Do as pp said and try to get it to pass. Reevaluate your diet- I couldn't have dairy, cabbage (or anything in the family), citrus, or spicy things with one of mine, if I did he had HORRIBLE upsets.
    If, after he's undressed for a while, he still has a temp, just monitor it... Use your better judgment, but if it doesn't begin to rise any higher, I wouldn't risk exposing him to everything in the Dr's office. Oh, and if you vaccinate- that'll cause it too.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:51 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Mylicon and gripe water can help with the gas.

Any drooling or gnawing of hands? It's not too early for teething and that might actually be the source of the fever and discomfort. And has he had vaccines in the past few days? Those can cause fever, though usually on the day of the shots.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:05 PM on May. 27, 2010

• A fussy gassy baby is a common sign for an oversupply of milk. See if you have any of the other symptoms at Oversupply

Such as:

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless

Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast

Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding

Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding

Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming

Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off

Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total

Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:11 PM on May. 28, 2010