Difficult 4 month old

Hey ladies, I to hear some advice!
My daughter is about 4 months old now, and she is a ridiculous handful! She's had digestive problems from day one- she's sensitive to dairy products, and she has acid reflux. At her 2 month appointment the doc put her on some medicine (basically liquid Previcid) which seemed to help for a few weeks, but we're back to crying and fussing literally 24/7 now. I was thinking that maybe the medicine levels needs to be bumped up a bit since she's grown...
Has anyone else had a baby who can't be comforted by anything or anyone all the time, every day? My mom had twins and then me, and she said that my daughter is worse than any of hers ever were!
I hold and carry her literally 24/7. She sleeps on me in the recliner. Yet nothing I do comforts her!
Shouldn't she be growing out of the super-duper needyness soon?
Help! My back (and ears :) are killing me! lol (and I do have a baby carrier I use regularly

LeiLana80

Asked by LeiLana80 at 6:29 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had this problem for the first 6-8 months of his life. He was born at 26 weeks and his digestive system wasn't well produced yet, and he had to be on prescription medication as well. I forget what he was on... I think liquid Zyrtec. But yes, as he grew, he would have to have his dosage adjusted, and even switched to something else, because his body grew used to that medication.
    Some of the things that I would do is lay him on a sheet and gather up the corners and sway him back and forth. The darkness along with the motion settled him down. Laying him across my lap on his belly and gently bouncing him by alternating lifting up on foot and then the other did the trick as well. I also put a warm towel or pillowcase (5 minutes through the dryer) and draping it across his belly right before his feeding and right after for about 20 minutes helped him as well...
    It does get better, Momma. :] Best of luck.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• it could be something else. babies that spit up a lot tend to get it in their ears, it could be an infection. she could be starting to teeth too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:34 PM on May. 27, 2010

• sounds like she colicky. I would sugget you put her down and have a breather then go back and try agian. she may be gassy as well. you can try some gas drops. what kind of bottles do you use? is she is inhaling to much air ? I also suggest taking her to the doctor to see if he will allow to you bump up her medication but for now just girt your teeth and stay clam. the more fustrated you are the more upset whe will become. It will be okay ,my baby was very colicky too it was difficult but with the help of his swing we got through it.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:37 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I guess my biggest thing is why can't I, her mother, comfort her? She doesn't want to play, cuddle, laugh, or do anything except be held. I used to be able to nurse her a little to help calm her down but now she won't even do that ( unless she's hungry of course). She may be starting to teeth, she's drooling a lot and chewing on our fingers. I just feel terrible because I feel like she can't be comforted by her mommy :(
    It's probably just a new mom worrying too much, but still.
    LeiLana80

Answer by LeiLana80 at 6:39 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Relactate?

Have you read The Fussy Baby Book by William Sears or read The Happiest Baby on the Block book or watched the DVD.

I was formula fed and it destroyed my digestive system. I have had problems my whole life including many hospitalizations as a child. My mom gave up on me before I was 1 and one of my grandmothers took care of me when I was fussy or sick.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:39 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It sounds like you are breastfeeding. It didn't sound like it since you said she had problems with dairy. I guess you mean if you eat it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I am breastfeeding. I cut out all dairy from my diet, along with caffeine, spicy foods, etc, and it helped her tremendously (no more green poo).
    I have the Happiest Baby on the Block, but not the Fussy Baby Book. I'll have to check that out.
    We have a swing, bouncer, jumper, high chair, boppy, pack and play, crib... and she doesn't like any of them for more than a minute or two, if we're lucky.
    Anyone else have a kid who is this darn picky?
    LeiLana80

Answer by LeiLana80 at 6:50 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I would ask for her to be put on prevacid solutabs. They can be crushed and put on baby's tongue and they dissolve. I would also ask about karafate. it is a chalk like substance that coat the esophagus and helps with reflux babies. I had one that had reflux so bad that his breath would often smell like stomach acid. The prevacid worked wonders.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:41 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Btw. You might want to see if seeing a gastrointrologist (sp) would be a good thing. She might have something else wrong with her that a specialist would be more suited for.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2010