my 3yr old son pukes when i try to give him veggies

i made the mistake of not sticking with veggies when my son was a baby, and now he HATES them. i tried introducing sweet peas to him today. and i told him he had to try at least one to see if he likes it. he whined and cried until he finally gave in and tried one, then he gagged and puked. how am i supposed to give him veggies if he pukes when he eats them!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• keep giving them to him. thats drama right there. lol! if my girls did that, i'd just put them over a towel in the kitchen and make them take a bite. if you let the vomiting phase you, then he will learn to vomit whenever he doesn't want something. (and, yes... kids CAN make themselves puke.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 6:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Not giving them to him as a baby didn't ruin him. He still may not like them. You don't give them to him. You might try mashing them up and putting them in something like meat loaf. It's not that big of a deal that he eats peas.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I have one that will make herself gag/vomit if she wants to control food- but she's 9 now, and I threatened that the next time she did it, she would have to eat it. Kids WILL eat when they are hungry... He's just using this as a power play.

Kids eating veggies

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:45 PM on May. 27, 2010

• my mom did something similar to me when I was little. I loved raw tomatoes but detested cooked ones. She made me eat them and I threw up all over her. I would never try to force my kids to eat something they didn't like.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:29 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Wow... I can't believe I heard that. THAT is the reason that kids of today are fat, sickly, and plagued with disease. Oh, they don't LIKE it, so give them junk. *shakes head*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:34 PM on May. 27, 2010

• My son who is 6 does that. It drives me crazy. Its with anything he doesn't like though. He will eat broccoli but only the tops. I cook a lot of hamburger helper and tuna helper(substituted with salmon) and he refuses to eat it unless he gets say ice cream for eating it. I am bad about bribing lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:30 AM on May. 28, 2010

• make foods where the vegis are cooked in and you cant taste them... like carrots and peas and potatos with a roast - they just taste like meat then... there is also a book by jerry seinfelds wife who talks about mincing and hinding vegis in the foods they already love. good way to be sure he isnt allergic if he really cant see or taste them and still gets sick.. also social pressure is huge. does he have a friend who will eat them in front of him as a good example...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2010