Have you ever been part of a cult?

And what do you think of people who use religious power to get whatever they want from their followers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• First off, just about every organized religion could technically be considered a cult. But no, in the basic sense of the word I've never been a part of a cult... And as for what do I think of "religious leaders" using their power over others... I think they are worse than the scum of the earth...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:52 PM on May. 27, 2010

• ME TOO! Sorry, but I was watching Oprah the other day, and I just can't believe the disgusting things that pastor was doing to those girls. What a sick bastard. It's one thing to use your religious power to instill hate in others, it's another to use it as a tool to think it's okay to RAPE women and girls. Sick f-ing bastards. It's people like that that make me HATE organized religion.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 7:57 PM on May. 27, 2010

• No, but i've watched some documentaries about it. It's interesting how they start off friendly and inviting, move to an isolated area, take all the followers possessions in the "name of God", take all the girls virginities in the "name of God", and sometimes lead people to mass suicide or to do some crazy things they wounldn't normally consider doing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:01 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I was going to ask if you watched yesterday's Oprah... lol... I did. I always watch those ones. What I don't understand is how the man was sentienced to 178 years and his followers are still supporting him, even after all this... Really, truly sick!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:03 PM on May. 27, 2010

• ooh i didn't see that..was it tony alamo? sick bastard is right..and so are his followers for hiding his crimes, going along with it...now that's brainwashing!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:10 PM on May. 27, 2010

• As SarinaMBowen pointed out (nearly) every organized religion is a 'cult' including Christianity. However, I'm sure that's not what the OP meant. When someone thinks of the word 'cult' they automatically think of this definition: a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist, or false. In more generalized terms a religion or sect that is NOT "mainstream".  No I have not been apart of religious group or sect that is NOT "mainstream".  So I have not been apart of a cult in that sense of the word. As far as abuse of power. I think that's horrible no matter who it is..... 

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:15 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yes I was a christian once. I totally hate anyone who abuses their religious power to take things from their followers.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yep, it was Tony Alomo... Pure piece of shit! Raping an 8yo? Come on... I hope he's getting raped every day - twice a day - for all 178 years! And yes, I hope he lives long enough to enjoy everyone of them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• even a regular church could be considered a cult, it's very subjective. yes.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sorry... Tony Alamo... I hate when I can't spell

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:27 PM on May. 27, 2010