my son doesn't wanna learn!!

i bought this book that comes with a dry erase marker that helps kids (ages 3-4) learn letters and learn how to write them. my son has no interest in it! he drew the capital A for me once. and that was it. how can i get him interested in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make him go to school. My son wouldn't do it for me either. At school he learned all kinds of things and came home writing his name and everything else.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• He's only a toddler! He doens't need to know that stuff til he learns it in school! Quit pushing him - or send him to school!
    Anonymous

• i got my 4yo son interested by teaching him how to write his name. you just have to find something that interests him is all it boils down to. i started off teaching the 2yo how to write by doing a 'm' for mc donald's (the irony in that is that we all hate mc donald's lol. they just love the commercials and ronald mc donald). now he's moving on to make a q for quincy (his name). it's all about what interests them. maybe he would be more interested in numbers instead of letters? any shows or characters he especially likes? you could start him off by writing the first letters in their names. you just have to make it fun and interesting for them so that they will not even realize that they are learning lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Then don't make him...he's 3! If he needed to know his letters at 3 then that would be kindergarten age. Let him play, that's his job right now.
    Anonymous

• I would not push him too much. I would try one alphabet letter a day. There are some wonderful free internet alphabet dot to dot printouts you can use. Take his hand and actually first show him how to trace, then let him try one on his own. Make sure to make a big deal out of it, if he atleast tries to do it. Another suggestion is there are some good learning activities on the internet that will teach him the alphabet and numbers. Sesame street, pbs sprout, etc. My son loves these websites and quickly learned and enjoyed being on the computer at the same time. Hopefully this may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• if he is 3 he should learn colors,shapes, saying the alphabet, animals & their sounds, his full name, sharing, coloring.. I personally wouldn't force him because he so young, but maybe make a game out of it. my 3 yr old has a learning delay & can't answer simple questions she only repeats because she doesn't process the ? correctly, but they allow her with other ones her age because she knows all the stuff I said your son should know.. preK is a good idea, but they most likely will not be teaching him lower & upper case letters. (there are free prek programs for kids who need help where I live)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• writing? Why not start with the basics of play...Can you bring me your blue train? Where is the train with a number 5? Which ball is bigger? What color is this block? Can you help me count these cars? What happens if we mic the blue paint with the yellow paint? Caterpillars eat leaves, Birds eat worms, what do you eat?... the list goes on.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:36 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Don't force it. He's still young.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:37 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Your child is going through many physical and mental changes. Although no two children grow at the same rate, experts agree there are "normal" signs of development. This brochure will provide you with a checklist of important milestones in your child's development during the third year of life.It is a simple tool you can use to be aware of and appreciate the dramatic changes that are occurring in your child. Watch for these signs in your child over a one month period. (Even children have "bad days.") Remember, each child is different and may learn and grow at a different rate. However, if your child cannot do many of the skills listed for his or her age group, you should consult your pediatrician. If your child was born earlier than expected, be sure to deduct the number of months born early from his or her age. A 5-month-old born 2 months early would be expected to show the same skills as a 3-month-old countinued
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:38 PM on May. 27, 2010

• who was born on his or her due date. Several additional sources of information are listed on the back of this brochure.
    You are the most important observer of your child's development. If your child has special needs, early help can make a difference.By 3 years of age does your child: Motor Skills
    feed himself (with some spilling)
open doors
hold a glass in one hand
hold a crayon well
wash and dry hands by himself
fold paper, if shown how
build a tower of 5-4 blocks
throw a ball overhead
try to catch a large ball
put on shoes (but not tie laces)
dress herself with help
use the toilet with some help
walk up steps, alternating feet
walk on tiptoes if shown how
walk in a straight line
kick a ball forward
jump with both feet
pedal a tricycle,
Sensory and Thinking Skills countinued
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:40 PM on May. 27, 2010