Did the nurses in the hospital tell you not to put a blanket in the crib with your baby before you left the hospital?

I don't understand how some people still don't know. Or know and don't care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anon :51, that's a child who can lift his or her head, which won't happen until the child is about 2 months old. I am a nurse, and I always tell my mothers that loose blankets are undesirable and pillows are an absolute no-no, and the side-sleeping position is the safest, because it lowers the risk of both smothering and aspiration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't remember the nurses telling me that, but I did read about it. In every child-rearing source I found!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Yep.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:15 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't recall them telling me that but I knew it from somewhere. It's in most books and such.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• the nurses did tell me it was okay to keep them swaddled
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Some of us SWADDLED our children with lightweight blankets. My children are now 20,20, 15, and almost 13. They all survived.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:19 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I DID NOT SAY SWADDLED! A LOOSE BLANKET.
    Anonymous

• Yeah they did...Did I listen? Nope
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:28 PM on May. 27, 2010

• ANON 21 Actually you asked if we were told not to put a BLANKET in with our babies. You did NOT say "loose blanket" either. lol

When a child is swaddled, they have a BLANKET in the crib with them, do they not? I swaddle my baby with a blanket every night by the way. :)

Anonymous

• ryanlyyn and whay did you not listen? Are you a nurse or a Dr. with a degree? Do you exclude yourself and your baby from the SIDS horror? They tell you for a reason. Ever think of that?
    Anonymous