Would you have said something to this mother?

I was at walmart when I heard in a mother in the aisle over telig her child to sit down in her stroller. Well I am assuming the child fell ( i think 3 or 4) and the mother started saying what did I f**kin tell you! I wish you would have cracked your fuckin head open you dumb f**king retard!

I didnt say anything, but I felt so uncomfortable and kept thinking how bad I feel for that kid. I know she was told to sit down, but who tells their child they are a dumb f**king retard

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow.....I wish I was bold enough to say something in situations like those....but I probably wouldnt have either. And I would have felt incredibly uncomfortable as well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• i would seriously have to bite my tounge and i would consider calling the cops...maybe it wouldve been a good moment to wip out the cell phone and video tape her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 PM on May. 27, 2010

• wow anon, no she wasnt black
    Anonymous

• wow, anon 9:18, you are a racist bitch. I hate you. there, how does degradation feel to you?

Anyway, I hate to say it because I wouldn't be helping that poor kid out at all, but I probably wouldn't say anything. What I would have to say would just make the crazy lady crazier, and she'd probable take her anger out on the kid.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:21 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't know, I'd like to think that I'd be bold enough to say something or quick enough to video it with a cell phone, but I think most likely I'd have been like you. Uncomfortable and beating myself up for not saying anything after the fact. That's horrible.

It's sad that good people who witness this stuff feel horrible after, and she probably just went about her day saying abusive things to her child without a care about it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• This mom sounds like she has anger issues. I probably wouldn't have said anything, either, because people like that can get violent. It also might have made her madder and made things worse for the kid. Even if you had called someone, they probably would have said they couldn't do anything because she was just using nasty words. I don't think CPS will do anything about verbal abuse. That poor kid! What kind of a life does this child have?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I absolutly would have, and I have in the past. No one should verbally abuse their children.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 9:45 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't have called anybody over it, but that is very sad.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a stressed out mom. I've never gone as far as call my kid a f-in retard, but I know what it's like to feel stressed out.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:10 AM on May. 28, 2010

• you want to know who talks to thier kids that way? well someone who is so stressed out from doing it all on her own, with no help, no support and people looking down their noses at them. obviously calling your kid a f***ing retard is wrong but who hasn't said to their kid "don't do that" only to have them hurt themselves doing it a minute later? when mine do i always, always say "You did it to yourself. i told you not to do it. Stupid shoudl hurt." does it make me a bad parent? possibly. do my kids understand that they have consequences to their actions? definitely. does it stop them from doing stupid things i tell them not to? Of course not. but they know they won't get hugs and kisses for doing something i told them not to do in the first place.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:39 AM on May. 28, 2010