What do you think of moms who force their kids to get in a pool,I went swimming today..

and a mother and her little boy he was between maybe 1 or 2,and he was scared shitless of getting in the pool she hopped herself right in and kept yelling at her son to hush and quit screaming,the whole time they were in he just screamed and cried and squirmed,and the whole time she just made him stay in there,is this normal? am I the only one that thinks this isnt a good method of taking your child to swim or teaching him/her?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 9:19 PM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think imma pritty hard mom and think this is totally wrong. would have made my kid jump in with me but if i saw that she was still crying regardless of me talking to her and holding her then i would have taken her out just as fast.
    Anonymous

• youre not alone. my dd is scared of the pool. she will play on the first step some but she is super careful. i'm not going to force my child to swim, and make her even more scared of water.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:22 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I try to ease my daughter into the water. However, I can see making her at first so that she can see it isnt so bad. I wouldnt be yelling though. I would be talking to her calmly trying to calm her down. If the screaming/fit continued after a bit, I would have taken her out.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:23 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I know thats what I was thinking,I take my daughter to watch her enjoy and play in the water not to get some kind of phobia!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:24 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I have another problem..My kids LOVE swimming..its me that hates the water.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• There are better ways to get a reluctant kid in the water- HOWEVER it is simply dangerous not to know how to swim, and at a very young age- even a 1 year old can swim unassisted if they spend enough time in water.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I have a mother that literally picked me up and threw me in when I didn't want to go... Even if it wasn't fear that was keeping me out. And I have a dad that came close to drowning me because he insisted on holding my head under in order to make sure I knew the water wouldn't hurt me...

So for some reason, I see forcing your kids in to the water as a form of mental abuse... If your kids are afraid of something, don't force it on them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 PM on May. 27, 2010

• best answer@sabrina
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:31 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It's definitely more common then one may think. Is it right or wrong? It depend on your personal perspective. I think 2 and younger is a little too young, but......
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:38 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Agree w/ ObbyDobby.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:01 PM on May. 27, 2010