Were/are you on WIC?

How do you feel about the program?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm on WIC now, and my husband and I use it to help with our two daughters. Hubby is a EMT but only makes $11 an hour (yeah they bust there asses EVERYDAY, and get pain $hit) His hours were cut back, and I have been looking for work for over a year now. Without WIC we would barely eat. The WIC covers half of the groceries so that we can feed our children. Hubby and I eat once a day. But because of the WIC our children can eat 3 times. I am very appreciative of it. What I HATE though, is when people with more money go out and get on WIC "just because they can". Here is a News Flash for ya: WIC is NOT covered from the taxes that you pay, it is a privately funded organization. If you want a turnaround of your tax dollars go apply for Medicaid or food stamps. If you think I am wrong, maybe you should ask yourself this question: Why is the financial income allowance bracket for WIC much higher then that of Mediciad or food stamps?
    Anonymous

• Well. I worked while pregnant and made good money. So does hubby. But I looked at it like this. I work hard and so does hubby, we pay all of our taxes, pay our bills on time, are good people etc. Why shoudn't we get the same advantage as low income people to feed our baby? God forbid we lost our jobs? I felt like it was a sense of security just incase. It's not like we are taking money and blowing it on stupid things. We are feeding our child. I applied for it with my paystub and was denied. They told me to re apply once I had the baby. I went back with a "different" paystub. Still on it. Don't love the center I go to but I go early in the morning when it is quiet.
    Anonymous

• Yes I was on it with my first three babies...I worked, and my husband worked, and we just needed that little extra help. I was glad there was a program that could help us.
    Anonymous

• I really like it. It's a little extra help when you need and it's a great educational resource.
    Anonymous

• i'm on wic. my so works and until i get a job i don't. we make enough money to not be on wic but it helps alot. i don't see anything wrong with wic because you're feeding your baby. as long as you don't take advantage of the system. my sis and her husband make decent money. she doesn't need wic but they gave it to her anyway. they give wic to practically anyone.
    Anonymous

• i was on it for the first 3 months of my sons life. it was okay except for that i couldnt get the kind of formula i wanted so i had to pay for my formula anyway. i like food stamps better because you just swipe your card and you can get whatever you want.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:40 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I love when people with PLENTY of money take something just because they want a "back-up", when for some of us its how we get by all together. Way to absorb resources and take them from people that may really need them.
    I bet your the same type of people that 1.) call cops when you lock your keys in your car, 2.) Call the fire department to get your cat out of the tree, and 3.) call the paramedics when you break your toe.
    Anonymous

• I was once, briefly. I quit. I didn't like how they treated us.
    Anonymous

Why? Because you are not low income. You did something wrong by going in with a fake paystub so you might as well call it fraud instead of using a "different" paystub. Know what? You don't deserve the help and taking what you don't need comes back on you.
    Anonymous

• I have been on WIC. I no longer am, even though we technically qualify for it. I'd like to be all noble and say we're not on it because we want other people to have those vouchers, but the truth is that we're not on it because we were treated like trash when we were on the program. The people in charge were rude to us every visit and made us feel like the scum of the earth for accepting the help they offered. We're doing quite well without their assistance, and unless my children's lives are at risk, we will never go back on WIC.
    It's a good program in theory, but the practice needs more work.
    Anonymous