puppy died...don't know why ???

We had a litter of 4 puppies ( + the mother) , they are a small dog mix. We decided that we wanted to keep one of the puppies ( and find good homes for the rest). They are 5 weeks old, and for the last few days the little girl that we planned on keeping was acting distant to the mother and other pups ( hiding, not playing, "crying") ... Well last night she was crying alot, she would drink a little but not eat, we called the vet and she said it just sounds like a belly ache, I stayed up and held her and felt so bad... around 1am , she has brown gunk coming out of her nose ( not sure if it was blood, because it was very brown, not red) ... she was having a hard time breathing ( whining everytime she took a breath).. I knew she was dying, so I wrapped her up and layed her down, and this morning ( about 5am) she was cold and hard.

I just dont know how she died ( the vet said maybe she was dropped & it caused internal problems*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Pets

• maybe the puppy was not healthy when it was born
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:04 PM on May. 27, 2010

• But I know she wasnt dropped ( the kids were never around her without me right there) .... and the mother is small ( maybe 3-4 pounds) and even thought the puppy was very tiny, I dont see her hurting her ( not sure how she would, besides laying on her) .... I am worried that maybe something was wrong with her and it will also happen to the other pups ( even though they are alot bigger than she was and are all very active, playful, and even eating and drinking on their own already) ....or that she had something that could have been spread to my kids or I .

Please help with any ideas of what could have happend
    Anonymous

• Oh my gosh how sad. I'm sorry. I have no clue either. It could be a number of things actually. Poor thing was in pain and suffering too...wow that just breaks my heart.
    Anonymous

• well up until about 3 days ago she seemed very healthy and was playful..
    Anonymous

• Brown blood is old blood. It could've been that.
    It could've been a number of different things. There's no saying without a neocropsy (I think that's what it's called).
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on May. 27, 2010

• It could have been a bowl obstruction, or something.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:12 PM on May. 27, 2010

• your post made me cry by the way!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:13 PM on May. 27, 2010

• this is so sad. our litter of 4 become 3 as well. just found him dead one morning. we wondered why? he seemed perfectly healthy and unlike yours there were no signs of anything being wrong. we often wonder if momma layed on him or if he was just not completely healthy. he was the only male and first born. when he was born his little tongue was sticking out and when we touched it it would go back into it's mouth. that poor little guy was still soft but blue when we found him so i still wonder if i had tried harder would he of come back to life. i have to put that behind me. i'm so sorry i know it's hard and you will probably wonder why for awhile. sometimes there are just things that happen that we will never know the answer why too.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Sorry about your puppy.

I found this list of basic dog illnesses, and the one that sounds the most like your dog is Canine Infectious Hepatitis. If you want to go read it, here's the link: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/medical-treatment-for-dogs-ga2.htm

I'm not saying your puppy had this, but it is possible.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Fix your dog..then this won't happen anymore.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:13 PM on May. 28, 2010