Decision to quit nursing. Want advice.

I am not enjoying breastfeeding and daughter is 14 months old. What's the first step in weaning?

StrongYoungMom

Asked by StrongYoungMom at 11:44 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, you did so awesome nursing this long! Congrats on making it so far, that's wonderful!

From here, it's delay and distract. When she wants to nurse, offer a snack, a toy, a drink, a movie, or say "Hey, let's go to the park!" You cut back on a couple sessions a week until she's down to however much you want to be nursing (once a day, twice a day, none at all, etc). She might get a little upset if you don't let her nurse right when she wants to, but if you distract her promptly with things she enjoys then it won't be a very big deal.

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Give her a sippee cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I assume she's on solids? So, you started weaning a long time ago... If you want to encourage full weaning faster you can delay and distract, or cut out a feeding once a week.

Know that many moms get fed up with nursing at some point, but that if you hang in there you may find many more enjoyable months of nursing your LO. Everyone's different, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:27 AM on May. 28, 2010

• There are special nipples out there for bolltes and even a certain sippy cup. can't remember whatthe name is though. But from what I remember my sister said she saw them in wal-mart,target, and kohls. so good luck to you on finding them. but thats only if she's not ready to drink from a regular sippy cup.;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:39 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Lots of great tips at Weaning At One

My favorite is "don't offer, don't refuse". You don't offer to nurse, and you do not say no when baby asks (often when you tell the no it makes them ask more and more, wanting to hear "yes" more than they really want to nurse). Along with this don't sit in usuall nursing places, and try and "head him off at the pass".  Try to anticipate when she might ask to nurse and offer a snack, drink or other distraction "Let's go lay in the snadbox!" when you think she is going to ask.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:04 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Drop one feeding per week until finished. OR, don't offer, don't refuse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2010

• 14 months!! Awesome!!

I plan on BF til my son is 1, which is in July, but he's starting to wean himself, relying mostly on solids...he loves to be able to eat his own food like grown-ups!

GL!
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 5:41 PM on May. 28, 2010