Southern expressions?

I don't understand expressions like: "...as all get out" or "Six in one half, dozen in another" or "I tell you what." What are some other expressions that don't make any sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nip it in the bud! if it walks like a duck!
    Anonymous

• nip it in the bud if it walks like a duck refers to killing gays.
    Anonymous

• lol, i cant think of any right now.
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 11:59 PM on May. 27, 2010

• cotton pickin minute.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:00 AM on May. 28, 2010

• oh i know! "Can I hold ya ink pen?" wtf else is a pen made of!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 28, 2010

• and the term "goat ropper" i dont know of anyone that would rope a goat for any reason.lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:01 AM on May. 28, 2010

• How about....do what? As in, what did you say? I didn't say to do anything!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I am guessing you are not from the south. . . I have never heard any of those expressions. I am from alabama
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Actually it's six OF one, and half dozen of the other, I'm not sure that one is southern, I grew up in Washington state and my grandmother used it all the time.

I'm not sure if this one makes any sense, but one of the ones that my sister and I heard once that still makes us laugh is - Well butter mah butt and call me a biskit!! Yes, the spelling is the way I first saw it. lol I also grew up hearing one about brass monkeys...but I know what that one means now. The phrase actually is - cold enough to freeze the ba**s off a brass monkey. On old ships when they used to stack the cannon balls on deck they were set on a metal sheet with indents for the bottom layer of cannon balls to sit on, then the others were stacked up. They had to make it out of brass, cuz if was iron...the cannon balls would rust on it. When it got really cold, the brass would sort of buckle then snap...basically popping the cannon balls- cont
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:03 AM on May. 28, 2010

• sorry....popping the cannon balls off of it. Hence the phrase "freezing the balls off a brass monkey" although living for many years in Montana....I can see where the confusion might have started. lol We use to laugh about the previous winter being so cold that all our brass monkeys killed themselves....having no longer any reason for living. lmao
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:05 AM on May. 28, 2010