Four year old fearful help please

My son is four. Lately he gets frightened of some loud noises, he covers his ears and gets upset. Is this a stage? Normal? Autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well just because he is sensitive to loud noises does not make it autism...he may have a sesory issue...bring it up to the DR. and see what she/he says..if they aren't concerned go to another Dr.
    Remember just because they have a degree does not always mean they are good DR'S
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I meant ...sensory issue ....that means nothing more then being sensitive..no big deal with being sensitive, right? just have to adjust your enviroment...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Could be a sensory issue, could also be that at some point there was a loud noise followed by something scary either in real life or from a moive. My son became scared of certain sounds because of a disney movie that had a dark scene in it.

Some people have really good hearing and are very sensitive to certain tones and pitches as well as volume.

I would talk with your doctor about having a hearing test done to rule that out first. Also keep a close eye on other things that your child may be sensitive to such as smells, brightness, temperature, crowds. Typically when it is a sensory issue there is more than one thing that bothers them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:50 AM on May. 28, 2010