Unbiased Bible Study...

Is there such a thing? I want to understand the Bible, but everytime I talk to someone, religion is brought up in it. Is there such a thing as an unbiased Bible study group? One that won't try to convert you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know. I think bible study only works if you believe it 100 percent. So you wouldn't need to be converted anyways.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• There are a number of cafemoms who are not christian who know the bible better than the over zealots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on May. 28, 2010

• The Shepards Chapel......... online or on television.......... WCIU, here in chgo....... It starts at 3 in the morning so I'd recommend TIVO or a VCR.

http://www.shepherdschapel.com/

GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:58 AM on May. 28, 2010

• An online course may be your best option.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:14 AM on May. 28, 2010

• We could start one! :)
    that would actually be kind of neat! we could discuss different passages, and offer all the different ways one could understand it, look into the historical context, get into the original language, etc, in a way that would allow for all to dig deeper, but still hold their own personal beliefs.
    i know many authors who have given me a different way to look at passages - i can only imagine how much more could be offered by others...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't think there could be such a thing... The bible is interpreted by each religion a little differently. So anyone that you study with is only going to give you their "bias" religious beliefs about what each part means... I would say your best bet would be to get yourself a bible and start to read, and start to research on your own... It's going to be almost impossible to find completely unbiased information because even the bibles you get in the dollar store tend to be KJV, which is already "bias" in it's translation. But that would, I think, be your best option...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2010

• crazymom- I have to disagree. I have never been able to believe in the bible, but I still continue to study it and the beliefs surrounding it. Just like millions of Christian teens study Greco-Roman Mythology every year in school without believing it, non-Christians can easily study Christian Mythology without believing it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Look for a bible study fellowship in your area.. they study straight from the bible - no denominations involved.... ppl come together from various churches and some who don't go to church at all. No proselytizing (sp?) or trying to get ppl to join your church... just bible study... here's there link for info and locations - http://www.bsfinternational.org/
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:13 the word "fellowship" indicates that they are not truely a "study group" and with it being all sorts of "churches" coming together you can bet that religion will be involved. I would suggest as Sabrina says and start studying on your own. Look into purchasing different versions and break it down.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:05 PM on May. 28, 2010

• pnwmom: have you gone to one, went to the website, or talked with anyone to know what it is about?

OP: check out the website and go to one and if you don't like it you don't have to keep going. it is unbiased and straight from the bible and they use the bible for the answers not from a catholic point of view, or pentecostal point of view or a baptist point of view etc. it is basic 101 bible study.
    Anonymous