Please answer!!!!!

So my son 11 months had a fever 4 days ago. Gagging anytime he needed to swallow. This morning at 3 am his whole body wa super hot and I took his temp rectally. It was 102.4. I have been giving him tylenol every 4-6 hours since. He has slept 90% of the day. His temp hasn't really seem to go down. Right now it is 101.1 under the arm.
I dont want to jump the gun and take him to the E.R. because we will be there for 8 hours before being seen. Of course I will if I need to but what do you guys think? WHat is the temp that means he needs to go in right away?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say you should take him. He shouldn't have a fever for 4 days.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:37 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I never went through a fever that lasted as long as yours with an 11 month old. Have you taken baby to the pediatrician? I would call your pediatrician right now, call the message service and ask for a call back and see what he or she suggests.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on May. 28, 2010

• No, sorry I didnt clarify. HE had one 4 days ago but then went awayand he was perfectly fin until this morning. Sorry and thanks for answering..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Oooooh ok. I actually just went through this with my 8 month old. He had 102.4. If you have insurance, you can call the nurse hotline (most companies have it) and they will tell you what to do. Or call his doctor.

Don't keep him in warm clothes. Keep up with the tylenol (motrin can make them nauseous)

Get some pedialyte to help hydrate him if he hasn't been eating.

I hope this helped a bit <3 I hope little one feels better soon. Best of luck:)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:50 AM on May. 28, 2010

• If tylonal is not making a differance than i always take my children to the doctor.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:53 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Are you keeping him hydrated? He really needs to be drinking lots of fluid when running a fever. If there's any possibility that he's dehydrated you need to take him in right away, babies can deteriorate fast. Especially if he's lethergic and hard to wake up. Normal sleeping is okay, I"m sure you'd be able to tell the difference.
    Luke warm baths or giving him popsicles work well in addition to tylenol and/or motrin to help bring his fever down. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Thanks Ladies!!! I can't express how much I appreciate all you help and advice!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on May. 28, 2010

• if it is 101 with tylenol that is dangerous... why would you wait 8 hours to get into the ER. sick babies are usually given some priority.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You should call your pediatrician and find out why your baby keeps getting fevors coming and going, maybe he should be taken to be seen. that would scare me. If my baby had fevors coming and going just like that for no reason at all. who knows maybe it's nothing or nothing serious, but you should take him just to be save.:l
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You should be giving Motrin for a fever. It works much better as a fever reducer. You are probably dealing with a virus that will run it's course. The fever isn't what concerns me, that you just need to keep under control. What concerns me is your saying he gags when swallowing. Without seeing him, I'm not sure what you mean. If he's having trouble breathing and/or swallowing you should go to the ER right away. If he appears to just have a virus, continue giving fluids and controlling the fever. If he has a fever for more than 10 days, it's no longer a virus and he should be seen by a dr.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:12 AM on May. 28, 2010